Friday, November 16, 2012

A Warm Hand Knit Beanie

Now that the weather has turned colder my youngest son has a brown and black soft shell ski jacket that he likes to wear. I just knew that he needed a hat to go with it.

I pulled out some handspun Corriedale/alpaca yarn that I recently spun woolen at a ratio of 8:1 on my Lendrum wheel. I decided to pair that with a commercial lace weight Henry's Attic black alpaca yarn. I chose a simple knit four purl two rib pattern for the beanie and started knitting. Since the hat is 75% alpaca the hat has some weight to it, but the Corriedale gives it a springiness. It's a very warm and soft hat.

I've noticed that the beanie is the first hat reached for before my son heads out the door to college, so I guess it's not so bad being color coordinated after all.


Speaking of my youngest son, Seb-he has requested a new quilt for his bed, so I'll be making another large quilt. He's asked for a mariner's compass quilt in solid blues and grays, with a black background, so that should be fun to make. I guess the wool batting was a hit, as that's been requested as well.

Oh, darn, I have to make another quilt....

4 comments:

Pachman Family said...

That is so awesome at that age he wants a quilt. I recently inherited some quilts that my mother in law's mother made. They are just so neat. I could never make anything as good as you guys do. I appreciate your creativity and craftiness!

Sheila said...

Nothing better than alpaca to keep you toasty warm, Seb will really appreciate his mothers talent this winter when walking to classes and he can go in style too ;-)That is great that you have a request for a quilt , it sounds like it will be very interesting!!

Paula, the quilter said...

I've been knitting hats too. But the request for totally machine washable has me using acrylic.

pinkpaillette said...

Dear Judy the beanie is great. They are also, here in Switerland, the must have. Best regards, colette