Monday, February 10, 2014

A Batik Dresden Quilt for Marshall

Do you remember me mentioning that quilt that had been on my sewing table for weeks (months)? Well, I finally worked out what was bothering me about it and started working on it once again. I'm using various green batiks with soft, neutral fabrics for the backgrounds. It feels great to be sewing/quilting again!!



 I thought that I'd use wool batting to make a warm, snuggly quilt.

This past weekend we did a little bit of nothing while chain watching the Olympics. It felt rather nice, actually. I did a bit of spinning on my Katherine's Cup spindle from Greensleeves Spindles. It has a claro walnut whorl and a bird's eye maple shaft. Lovely. I was spinning hand dyed Merino into a soft singles:



I finally got the cotton yarn warp on my Baby Wolf loom that has been waiting for me the past few weeks. It's 8/2 cotton in various red/yellow/beige/orange/white yarns. I've set it up for a four shaft twill for weaving kitchen towels and it's just ready to start weaving :-)


There's snow on the ground here after a couple of very welcome storms. It's been so dry here in Idaho and yet other states have set records for snowfall. I love looking up at Shafer Butte/Bogus Basin and seeing the fresh powder. There are some very happy people up enjoying it, I'm sure!

I try to keep the bird and squirrel feeders full this time of year. It's neat to watch them to see who stops by for a visit. The Dark-eyed Juncos have been visiting quite often.



I'm hoping to be back on my bike this week after three weeks of physical therapy. Oh, happy, happy day! Here's a big thanks to the pt women who have been so helpful to me.

I'm hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Beautiful dresdans Judy and your newest tea towel will be lovely. Glad to hear you are back to the bike, things must be healing well, yeah!

adailydoseoffiber said...

Love the dish towel colors. What epi is the 8/2 cotton? And those greens are great!

Blackberry Lane said...

Your weather is perfect for sewing. I am enjoying watching the Olympics, too.
I hope you get the chance to ride your bike and all goes well.

Rachaeldaisy said...

That's great that you're working on your dresdans. It's lovely seeing all those greens. I love the mix of colours on your weaving frame, the squirrel and birds look happy to find a food stop in the snow. Enjoy your bike ride!!

Jennifer said...

Keep up the good recovery work! Love your dresden plates, too much green is never enough.....it brings spring closer for you.

Cindy said...

Your blocks are just gorgeous! What was it that was bothering you? Just out of curiosity.

That little squirrel is so adorable and fluffy!

Teresa in Music City said...

So glad you are recovering on schedule and the end is in sight! Lovely yarn you are spinning there - those colors are yummy :)

KaHolly said...

Your batik dresdens are just gorgeous!! And your yarn - delicious. I'm learning to knit/crochet, slowly, and hope to advance enough to use such beautiful product.

Carrie P. said...

oh, those fabrics are so pretty used in your dresdans.
Your yarn is just lovey too. We have Juncos here in North Carolina too.

Laura said...

Dear Judy,
So glad to hear that the physical therapy is going well. I just love the colors on your quilt...so beautiful! We have been enjoying the snow here in Maine...but I have to admit I am getting a bit itchy to start the seedlings in the greenhouse. My son enjoys the snowboarding, however, so I guess I'll be happy for him a few weeks? longer!
Have a blessed day,
Laura

Linda Coleman said...

Hi Judy
so glad that you are improving all the time and will soon be back to the 100% active lady that you are. Really fresh greens in the quilt you are making for Marshall. Just back from New York and the cold and snow but loved it. We've had very bad storms here for the last couple of weeks and my phone and internet connection keep coming and going so I try to catch up with my blog reading when I can

Karen Reff said...

I just want to rub my face on that wonderful color of fiber with your drop spindle!

Françoise said...

You've been busy! I love all these colourful projects. Have a great day.

CATHY DANIEL said...

Oooh Lovely Dresden Quilt there. And ... as I am trying out new patterns on the pots, you have given me an idea!! Good luck on the bike - take it gently!! xCathy

Lin said...

Pretty dresden flowers - they are going to make a gogeous qui;t. xx