Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Creative News

The work-well, it doesn't feel like work as it's much more fun than that-continues on the Dresden batik quilt. I have 20 blocks done out of the 30 that I need so I'm getting closer day by day. Don't you just love the variety that quilting offers? I like looking at modern quilts but I also love the classic quilts that are created from blocks that have been used by generations of quilters. Reading blog posts from a variety of quilters is so inspiring as there are so many neat things to learn and to try. Plus you get to meet some neat people along the way....Speaking of people, I want to welcome the new people who have just joined my blog.

I've started cycling again and can you see the HUGE GRIN ON MY FACE? I rode this past weekend with my family and it was just awesome-enjoying the sunshine, talking together, and just thanking God for the blessings in my life while pedaling along the Boise River. Speaking of blessings, I saw this sunrise the other morning.

I was watching the Olympics the other evening and noticed that I had a bag of dyed Cormo and kid mohair nearby so I started carding those together, blending the brilliant blue with the soft turquoise. That singles yarn made me wonder what it would look like plied with a Merino singles that I had spun using a top that I dyed using varied concentrations of turquoise, soft blue, and black dyes. The result of that plied yarn was knit up as a tam. I love how the colors blended together and I need to add this method to my dyeing workbook to remind myself to try this again.




I've started weaving again, and the 8/2 cotton variegated warp that I had wound on my Baby Wolf was waiting for me. Watching the unique fabric emerge motivates me to keep throwing the shuttle. I met a new weaver the other day, and he was so jazzed about his first weaving project. It was neat to see his enthusiasm and I hope that he holds on to that. There are some in the weaving world who are fun killers-it must be done MY way or it's not right-and I hope that he continues to explore weaving with the ability to follow his own ideas because that's where the real fun is. For the weavers out there, here's the information on the kitchen towels:the 8/2 cotton is from the Woolery ; the sett is 24 epi; and the weave structure is a four shaft twill.

I wanted to make a small quilt as a thank you to the physical therapist who has helped me so much over the past four weeks. I used a wonky New York Beauty block as the focus, then added hand painted fabric that I had painted using textile paint. I added some prairie points and some quilting using rayon thread. Thanks, Krystan, for showing me how to push past the pain so that the flexibility and strength is returning to my knee/leg!


It's been warm here, so I thought that it would be a great time to get my fishing pole out and explore some new spots on the Boise River-watch out trout ;-) The other day I was out enjoying the sunshine while walking my canine buddies, Max and Sam, and I came across this interesting bird's nest swinging in the afternoon breeze.

Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy

10 comments:

Birgit Olann said...

A little I've knit today. I admire your quilting and weaving. A small loom is here, but I have not yet dared to it.
The saying of Mary Kurtz I would like to take with me, it is so beautiful!
Greetings, Birgit

Sheila said...

Lovely wool and your weaving is coming along beautifully ! Always nice to stop by for a visit to see what you are up to , great news on the cycling .

Blackberry Lane said...

Hi Judy, So nice to see an update from you. Congrats on the cycling! I know you were so happy to be out and about with the family. I'm thankful for answered prayers. I love all your gorgeous projects, too.

Rachaeldaisy said...

It must feel like flying to be back on the bike again!! Just in time for spring too. You have such a fun time blending fabrics with your yarns. That blue circle is gorgeous. Beautiful weaving too. I love your quilt,it's so full of sunshine! I agree that i'm inspired by the variety quilting offers.

Jennifer said...

Well done on the cycling again! Love the colours in your new tam, and the weaving is so vibrant.

Françoise said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing fine and cycling already!
Love all these colours in your fiber projects. The weaving is beautiful.

Teresa in Music City said...

So wonderful to hear that you are beginning to get back to enjoying the things you love! That yarn is such a lovely color - YUM!!!

KB Design said...

Hallo Judy
Du bist so vielfälltig kreativ! Das Geschenk an deinen Therapeuten ist eine wunderbare Idee und er wird sich hoffentlich darüber freuen.
Auch die Decke für deinen Mann wird wunderschön.
Jetzt bin ich gespannt, ob du uns bald den Fisch zeigst, den du geangelt hast....

Liebe Grüsse
Brigitte

CATHY DANIEL said...

Good for you with the cycling, Judy! I just love seeing what you're up to on the fibre front, but have only just noticed your quotes down on the right! I mentally said 'absolutely!' after reading each one. Have a great week. xCathy

Lin said...

Lots of gorgeous colours and things Judy - love the new layout too. Good to hear that you are cycling again. xx