A Basket/Fruit Basket/Cake Stand Quilt Finish

Is that a confusing title or what? I was doing some research on the quilt that I just finished and I realized that there are many variations on the basket blocks. Cake stand, fruit basket or just plain basket? I just finished my version of a basket quilt for my dining room using 4.5 inch (11 cm) blocks. I used EQ7 to size the blocks and to decide the setting that I wanted to use. On point or straight? This is what I decided on-

Once I started working on it I decided to make the quilt longer by adding more blocks. I used a variety of Kona solid fabrics along with batiks and a couple of hand dyed fabrics for my version. This was machine quilted using straight lines and navy cotton thread. It's now hanging in my dining room and it's a perfect match to my colorful Fiesta dishes :-)


I'm starting a new quilt this morning. Can you see me grinning? I've admired the ocean wave and Lady of the Lake quilt designs for years now, so my next quilt will be a king sized Lady of the Lake.

I'm making this to use in our pop up tent trailer and I'm planning on using wool batting for warmth. One of our favorite places to camp is in the Sawtooth National Forest where it can get rather cold at night, even in July, so the wool will be welcome. I found some great fabrics at a local fabric store that will work great with the color scheme that I wanted. Okay, I can hear what some of you are thinking-she's going camping, for Pete's sake-but who says you can't camp with a warm and comfortable quilt along? And who the heck IS Pete, anyway? Do you wonder about the idioms that we use and how they originated?

The fabrics that I found-



 I love this fabric with the round robins-

Plus I have an assortment of neutrals on hand for the light fabrics. I'm jazzed to start sewing!

Enjoy your day, I'm off to sew,
Judy


Comments

  1. Your quilt is beautiful and I love the fabrics for the quilt you are starting today. I have a quilt in our 5th wheel for when we "camp" and fly fish. I think your idea is a great one, to sleep under a quilt when camping is a pleasure!! Have a great day, Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have admired the Lady of the Lake blocks/quilts. I eagerly anticipate yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful quilt!! Your dining room must be looking very special with all these lovely quilts you are hanging there! I think it's perfectly understandable to take a quilt camping, thats just the place you need something warm and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented. How fun to have started a new quilt for camping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something so wonderful about basket quilts. Looks like you are about to begin another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your basket quilt is gorgeous , such vibrant Colors . Oh your quilt will be wonderful , love your choice of fabrics and color sand you will be sleeping under a beauty while camping ,

    ReplyDelete
  7. The basket quilt turned out great. Can't wait to see your Lady of the Lake quilt. You've picked out some wonderful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely fabrics Judy - they are going to work well together on your quilt. And why shouldn't you take a quilt camping! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your basket quilt done up in the solids. Very pretty.
    Great idea to use wool in your "camping" quilt. Can't wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy