A Roman Stripe Quilt

I decided to play around with EQ7 a bit the other day as I was thinking of making a small quilt and I wanted to explore various possibilities. I decided to go with the Roman Stripe block as I've never made one before and I knew just the fabrics that would work great for that block. I played with the block size a bit, decided to put the blocks on point, and then I was ready to start sewing.

I printed out pieces for paper piecing, pulled out the hand dyed or hand painted fabrics in the colors that I wanted to use, and started sewing. I was listening to the new book by Alexander McCall Smith, The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon. Have you ever read any of his books? I love his characters and how real they seem. While I'm listening I can almost see the view of Botswana or feel the heat of the day. 

I pulled some leftover Kona black fabric from one of my scrap bins for the triangles and the borders. I decided to hand quilt this using pearl cotton and a larger running stitch which was a lot of fun to do.


The back piece had been painted by immersing the cotton fabric in some leftover textile paint. The piece turned out a soft pink with purple and blue highlights.


I just finished making an Echinacea or coneflower fabric postcard as a thank you for a friend. I love coneflowers and I noticed that mine are just starting to come up in my back garden :-) I appliqued the flower by hand and then used my sewing machine to sew swirls around the flower. I think that she's going to like it!


Speaking of machines, I went to an estate sale the other day and I had the opportunity to buy a newer Bernina at a very good price. I decided to think about it a bit, well, a bit too long as it turned out, as someone else jumped at the deal. Darn it! Well, I have no doubt that there will be other used Berninas to turn up...but that one was the GOOD one that got away ;-)

I'm off to cycle with my son on this sunny afternoon.
Here's hoping that you have time for fabric/fiber,
Judy

Comments

  1. Your Quilt has wonderful colors. Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.
    LG Elke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little quilt, the colours are gorgeous and the black sets them off perfectly. The card is super too - your friend will love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Roman strips quilt has the perfect colors in it. Isn't it fun to find the perfect fabric in your stash and it all works so well together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is so true to your EQ pattern. It looks wonderful with those hand dye fabrics, and the perle thread stitches suit it perfectly. Lovely cone flower postcard too, your friend will love finding that in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my how pretty that coneflower postcard is. A perfect Thank you! The roman stripes are such fun. I don't think I've ever seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy
    you have been busy again. Love the bright zingy colours against the black. I treated myself to EQ7 but haven't managed to get the time to load it onto the computer yet. Love the coneflower

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is lovely and so is the coneflower. I bought a bunch of coneflowers last year and the voles slowly ate all the roots. Ugh!
    Sorry you lost out on the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cornflower and your Roman stripe quilt. Such lovely colours! I hope you had a great time biking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt Judy and your cone flower postcard is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy