Translate

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A Small Shoo Fly Quilt

Last night I was thumbing through some of my quilting books and I noticed that my Roman stripe quilt looks very similar to a quilt made by Miriam Nathan-Roberts that was shown in the book, An Amish Adventure, by Roberta Horton. I wanted to make sure to give her credit as an inspiration for my quilt. There's also another quilt quite similar in a book by Marsha McCloskey, but I can't remember the exact book.

Speaking of being inspired by various books on Amish quilts, I just finished hand quilting a small shoo fly quilt for my dining room. Did you know that the quilt block is named after a wild plant called shoo-fly?

I also found out after researching this block that while the Underground Railroad was being used to help run away slaves this quilt conveyed the message that there was a sympathetic person living in the house who could provide help. I find it interesting to read about quilters from the past and the history behind the quilt blocks that we are still making today. Here's my shoo fly version using solid and batik fabrics:


I hand quilted this using navy embroidery floss-
Do you plant lettuce in your garden? I love fresh lettuce in the spring, and we look forward to trying new varieties. One of the varieties that we chose is called Drunken Woman Frizzy Headed lettuce. The name made me laugh, so I brought some home with me. It tastes quite good!

Speaking of gardens, while at an estate sale I found some things to put in my garden. A colorful glass hummingbird now rests near a columbine plant.

I also found a gnome that is smoking a pipe. Yes, I know, you either love them or hate them, but this guy's a character, so he came home with me. He's now sitting in my half whiskey barrel that's full of bee balm where I can see him from my studio window.

Our tulips are flowering and putting on a nice show, so I thought that I'd share one of them with you. This is an Angelique tulip and I love the soft pink color that it has. This year it's come up in groups of four or five which adds to the visual appeal in our backyard.


I'm off to work on a small basket quilt.

Judy

15 comments:

  1. What's the gnome got in his pipe? Sorry... couldn't resist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shoofly quilt is lovely . Love the hummingbird and gnome , great additions to your garden !

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting about the quilt block. I love the hummer and gnome and the tulip is gorgeous. Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say that the lettuce name cracks me up. That is so funny. I think it would be great to grow diff. varieties and enjoy a fresh salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bello il tuo blocco, belli i colori!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I love the gnome! I have a few little ones scattered around my garden, but yours is quite wonderful. If he goes missing don't look in Oregon, okay? :)

    Great shoo-fly and thank you for some of the history on the pattern. And enjoy those spring flowers. We just had a snowstorm, so it might be headed over to you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures! The gnome is kind a cute I think. Do you know about the French movie "le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" with the garden dwarf that travels the world?
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bright colours you used in your shoo fly quilt. It is lovely. And the garden looks wonderful. I was out cleaning up my greenhouse the other day. I am impatient to start really gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know there was a plant called a Shoo Fly, how interesting! I wonder if there's something about it that repels flies? Your Shoo Fly quilt is really wonderful! Love the big stitch quilting! Mr Gnome must be happy with his new home in your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy,
    I like the tulip, nice color and the double of petals. Just like a "tutu".
    Have a nice day, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Judy,
    in addition to the flowers and trees the fancy little things like the garden gnome make a garden so personal. I am considering to make a scarecrow in the new vegetable patch, because the blackbirds dig up the seed again.
    Have a good time, Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I didn't know that - I just imagined it was cos someone was trying to shoo a fly away! Lol! Your little quilt is wonderful - as is your lettuce! Ha Ha. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like your shoofly quilt too. I love fresh lettuce from the garden. I have some growing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy