Translate

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Exploring Idaho Back Roads on Vintage Motorcycles

I haven't had as much creative time lately, although when I can grab a minute, I piece another lady of the lake block for my king sized quilt. Most of my time has been spent organizing camping gear to get ready for summer camping. Who put the camping stove away dirty?? Hmm, it was me, darn it.

For years my husband and I have talked about getting dual sport motorcycles to ride together. One thing my knee injury taught me is to not wait on fulfilling dreams as you never know when life will throw you a curve ball, changing what you can do. Lately, we've been exploring parts of Idaho that I've never seen, seeing it from the seat of a vintage Honda CT110 with my corgi, Max, sitting behind me in a custom wooden box that Marshall created. Max barks if I get too far behind, and pokes me with his nose, I guess, in an effort to get me to go faster-it's rather hilarious! Yesterday we trailered our motorcycles to just past Idaho City, where we parked at the Granite Creek recreational area to eat some lunch and then unload the bikes.

As we drove through Idaho City we noticed an interesting building that is quite eclectic.


Our goal was to explore the area, finding a couple of new campgrounds to try, and to enjoy the sights along the way driving down some of the forest service roads. The views were incredible as we headed to Bald Mountain Campground.

We rode up to the campground which looks like a great place to camp, and I did a happy dance as there was a BATHROOM! After hours of riding, that was a joyous sight ;-) Right past the campground we ran into deep snow covering the road. Some intrepid soul had driven their truck through it, but that was the end of the road for us and we turned around to head back to the truck. My son, Seb, and I stood by the snow for a photo op-

 And Max ran through the snow, just enjoying eating some of it.

I think my husband's smile sums it up nicely about the day (don't look at my helmet hair). It's nice when you can fulfill a loved one's dream by being willing to ride a motorcycle on trails and back country roads. And you know what? I had a blast, too.


After six hours of riding I couldn't feel my backside any longer, so it was time to call the end of a very fun day. One of the things I love about Idaho is the ability to get outdoors and just soak up the breathtaking vistas. We're already planning our next ride....

Have a great weekend,
Judy


10 comments:

  1. Hi Judy, So happy you had such fun and the photos are fabulous!

    We moved on Wed. and we are happy to be here. Although tired!

    Enjoy the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what great scenery Judy. You look as if you had a ball and Max enjoyed it too. Now you have another great hobby (how do you fit it all in). I won't tell my hubby about your bikes or he'll be jealous (he was a biker back in his young days but having lost an arm in a bike accident he can't ride them anymore). His wish list includes getting one of those big trikes because he can drive one with his car licence but we'd have to get a job done on the controls to get them moved over to one side for him. If I win the big lottery here tonight I'll order it tomorrow for him!!!! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us , sounded like a fun day in the great outdoors and such beautiful scenery too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful scenery! You're right......just get in and do what you want to. Life has a way of throwing curved balls at us sometimes, so we should make the most of now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great day out! And it's so lovely there.

    Life more on an even keel here now!

    Bimbi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like so much fun! Especially through such beautiful countryside and amazing views.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an excellent weekend for discovery! Looks like you had a great time. What's up today? We're up in Stanley Basin and think we might just sit and look at the mountains today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely trip Judy. I love that 'eclectic' building, what fun!! Oh yes, a bathroom at the end of a trip is so so welcome! One of our favourite walks has a 'dry toilet' and it is just the cleanest toilet and never smells. I vote for more green toilets like that one. Have a great week Judy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun time. I would love to see a pic of your pup riding behind you, it sounds adorable and I love that you get a bark and a poke if you're going to slow. Idaho is certainly a beautiful state. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy,
    I'm back in blogland :-)
    Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy