Translate

Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Neat Surprise in the Mail

My son brought in the mail and to my surprise there was a letter from Brigitte in Switzerland! How cool is that? I opened up the envelope to find a lovely textile card with patchwork and special stitching :-) Thank you so much, Brigitte, for brightening my day!



Hello to the new followers to my blog! Thanks for joining and I hope to get to know you better.

I haven't had as much time to be creative lately, as I've been camping and motorcycle riding with my family. But when I have a moment, I've been knitting a pair of boot socks from handspun wool/mohair.

In the evenings I've been spinning Cormo wool in lovely shades of lilac, plum, spring green, and a bit of yellow on one of the spindles that Marshall made for me with the goal of spinning enough yarn for a new wool hat for camping.


And work is progressing on my lady of the lake quilt. I now have enough blocks to sew them together and then put the borders on. Woohoo!! I'm going with wool batting for this quilt as I want it to be warm for camping. I know that some people don't care for wool, but you just have to respect the qualities of wool while treating it gently. That means washing it on a gentle or wool cycle and then air drying it. I haven't had a problem with shrinkage when I do that and it reduces the chance of pills forming. I've seen so many tiny wool sweaters at the thrift store that were once lovely cashmere or merino sweaters, but were washed too hard or thrown in the dryer which turned them into perfect doll sweaters. I think wool is worth the extra effort, but I have closets full of it, so I know that I'm a bit biased!

How's your garden growing? Here in Idaho we've had a cool, wet spring and my roses are happy, happy, HAPPY! They are all flowering and putting on such a lovely show. I'll share a few with you. These are Cl. Blaze roses, climbing up a wooden tower that my husband made and it's the first year to see them flower.

This rose is a Queen Elizabeth grandiflora rose and I have to admit it's my favorite rose in our backyard. It's rather majestic looking and the soft pink is an awesome color.


I've started a new blog, Judy & Max's Motorcycle Adventures , so if you want to read about our camping and motorcycle trips you can find posts there. It's been wonderful exploring new parts of Idaho. And it's been fun rediscovering how fun a dual sport motorcycle can be.

Happy stitching,
Judy

15 comments:

  1. I have missed so much here. When I was young, I loved motorcycling with my boyfriend and camping (tent) we do almost every year, preferably in Scotland. So I'm going to look at your new blog. Your roses we are really beautiful. Always drive carefully.
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprise post is always the best - just so rare!
    Joined your other blog and posted a comment, but somehow it disappeared????

    Bimbi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful roses! Love the postcard too.
    Looking forward to seeing the progress on your quilt.
    I tried to post a comment on the other blog but I'm not sure it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roses are just gorgeous , love that pink . Love the socks too , they should be nice and warm . I will have to check out your other blog and catch up on your adventures , see you there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely card!! Your socks look extra soft in that beautiful yarn you're using. It's great to hear you're enjoying your motorbike adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What pretty roses! Love those new socks, too. I'm with you on wool, I have a sweater that must be approaching its 20th birthday and, because I wash it by hand and look after it, it is still looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely surprise Judy, love the flowers (that's because I don't have any only grass, weeds and black mushrooms)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your roses are so pretty! That's a sweet gift from Switzerland, too. I know you are enjoying summer activities. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely card Judy. I have to agree with you - wool is definitely worth the extra effort in looking after it, I love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely card Judy. I have to agree with you - wool is definitely worth the extra effort in looking after it, I love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUCH a wonderful surprise! And glad to hear you are enjoying the great outdoors and the open road. Oh my those roses would last about a nano second around here, and I know they don't taste as good as they look, so why deer, why?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Schön, dass dir meine Grusskarte Freude gemacht hat. Danke auch für deine Blumenbilder und deine tollen Sockenfotos. Jetzt werde ich schnell deinen neuen Blog ansehen und freue mich darauf.

    Herzliche Grüsse
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful mail surprise. Your roses are so pretty. Have fun on all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the card is really pretty. love those socks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy