Translate

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Weaving Again

I was reading a post by Francoise the other day who is a talented quilter, artist, and weaver. She mentioned that she was going to make time to weave again so that she could finish up her project on her loom. Zing! That was the motivation that I needed to realize that I've missed weaving and I need to just make time to weave again. Thanks for the nudge, Francoise! The other day when the weather was fine, I carried my vintage Harrisville Model A loom

out on our back porch, where I could weave while listening to the birds and looking at our garden. I have a warp on this loom to weave mug rugs so I thought that I'd just play with the rug wool, and let myself try whatever came to mind.

I wove the first mug rug using handspun Lincoln yarn that I dyed in a bright blue, spring green and a sunny yellow, alternating that yarn with a sunny yellow rug wool.



While I was out weaving, I noticed that our blackberries are covered with flowers, which makes my husband and son very happy as they love the homemade blackberry jam that my husband makes. Sweet anticipation!

Our raspberry plants are just covered with fruit, so sometime soon, we'll be picking ripe raspberries! Yum, those are my favorite berries to eat.

Yesterday my son and I decided to put on our hiking boots and drive up Bogus Basin Road to the ski resort to do some hiking. We passed so many avid cyclists pedaling up the mountain, which would be an incredible workout at it's quite a climb to the top, and as we were driving up the mountain, we noticed that it was getting cloudier and colder. The temperature dropped from the 60's (16 C) in Boise to 42 (6 C) at the parking lot up at the ski lodge. Brrr. I was wishing that I had a wool sweater or a fleece with me, that's for sure, but five minutes into the hike on trail number 91 my heart was beating like a drum, my sunglasses were fogging up, and I was no longer cold. We were passed on the trail by runners, other hikers, and many mountain bikers. I love Idaho! It's such an awesome place to live if you like being active outdoors. There were wildflowers all over the place which are so lovely to see and I've tried to identify them by name.

Western Virgin's Bower, Clematis occidentalis

Idaho Bluebells, Mertensia campanulata
Sandberg's Biscuitroot, Lomatium sandbergii
Sam and Max had a blast running the trail together-don't you love those happy faces?

And I think that Seb had a great time too-


Seb noticed something in the bushes close by-
chipmunk 
 The views were outstanding-


And you could see the low clouds rolling in-

What an awesome day for a hike! This morning I feel a wee bit sore,okay, a lot sore, so I think today is a good day to spend some quality time on the back porch ensconced in a comfy chair so that I can knit a shawl. And not move. Anywhere.

Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy

11 comments:

  1. Hi Judy, The colors of the mug rug are so pretty. I love the wildflowers you shared along your hike, too. I know the dogs enjoyed being with you and your son in the great outdoors.
    Take care and enjoy the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, what you are experiencing every day around you in Idaho (the scenery is breathtaking), that reminds me of our holiday together with the children in Scotland (once we hiked up Ben Nevis and above there was still snow). This is the time in which we hiked. It's nice that your son is so happy to go with you.
    Have a good time, Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to make a mug rug out listening to and enjoying nature . Loved your photos on your hike , I must say Idaho is a beautiful state ! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful photos Judy. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful countryside. Love the flowers. Great colours in the mug rug

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours of the flowers are the colours of your weaving. You live in such a beautiful place, it's great you get out to enjoy it. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful scenery, and I love those pretty flowers! Is your loom heavy to carry round? Have a peaceful time with your weaving, it sounds very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely walk - your flowers are amazing and the scenery stunning. Love the little chipmunk! I have been picking raspberries for a few weeks now - over 20 lbs so far. Lovely to think of you sitting and knitting or weaving outside, that must be really pleasant. I try to do that as much as possible. Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Idaho looks delicious! It's one of the few states I've yet to visit. I'd love to do some weaving. It looks so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! what a view!
    I have been picking some raspberries and we are waiting on the blackberries to turn.
    I have strawberries this year but I think lizard might be eating them when they get ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like an absolutely LOVELY day!!! I'm quite jealous :) Hope your weaving is coming along nicely - you've certainly got a colorful start! All those fun colors are playing so nicely together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous scenery! I need to visit Idaho one day. I hope there will be some raspberries left for me when I visit. ;-)
    Thank you for your kind words and the link to my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy