Monday, July 28, 2014

Hexagon Fun and Hiking the Around the Mountain Trail

This morning I realized that it's been a long time since I've sat down to answer email and to write a post. Do you find sometimes you just feel dry creatively? The past couple of weeks I've felt rather uninspired to be creative, but I find that I've started dreaming about quilts and weaving once again. Life goes in stages, I know, so there are times when it's good to slow life down and rest a bit. If my family reads this, they'll be laughing quite hard, as I hardly ever slow down.

I tried something different with the batik and solid hexagons that I have been sewing in the evenings over the past year. Instead of the traditional flower form, I chose random colors and sewed them into strips, then sewed the strips together. It's funny how the hand sewing seemed like such a big deal when I first started working with hexies as it was much slower than I was used to ( I sew with my machine pedal pushed to the floor ;-). Now I find that it's rather peaceful to sew each hexie together and to watch the quilt build one piece at a time, knowing that it gets done when it gets done.

This small quilt was hand quilted using a neutral thread. I dyed the quilt back by pushing the cotton fabric into a small yogurt container filled with dye solution and then letting it sit for 24 hours without agitation. This small quilt is now hanging on my front door and it's a cheery burst of color that welcomes us home.


I've wanted to create new quilts for my studio walls in different colors (no more blue!) and I've been thinking of what appeals to me. Right now I'm really liking solids and batiks, so online I found a couple of neat Kona cotton fat quarter collections that I ordered in various purples and pinks.

Then I started thumbing through quilt books, thinking about quilt designs/patterns that I want to make. I chose the first wall quilt,which is another hexie quilt. Gee, what a surprise, right? Okay, maybe this is as addictive as knitting socks! The first quilt for my studio will be in these colors with the addition of gray, which is not a color that I use very often.

I'm hand quilting the lady of the lake quilt using big stitches and perle cotton. It's coming along nicely and I'm hoping to sew the binding on soon.

This past weekend I was hiking with my family up at Bogus Basin where we were able to escape the heat in the valley. It's so awesome that Bogus is close to Boise! We hiked trail 91 to where it connects with trail 98, which in turn goes around the mountain providing great views and a nice hike. There were many other hikers and mountain bikers out enjoying the day on the mountain so the word is out that this is a fun trail to do.

 We caught views of wildflowers
Western Columbine (Aquilegia formosa)
Small-flowered Paintbrush (Castilleja parviflora)
White Mariposa Lily (Calochortus eurycarpus)
and butterflies along the trail.
Max found a trickle of water to roll in, cooling himself off. Then he was all set to keep on hiking-

He's smelling the cheeseburgers now, pulling me along faster and faster.

A very dusty Max
 Bogus Basin had their grills fired up which we could smell as we were finishing the hike down towards the ski lodge. Mmmmmm, that just smelled simply too good to resist, so we sat outside in the shade with our dogs, polishing off delicious cheeseburgers while watching the other hikers/mountain bikers coming down the mountain. What an awesome way to spend a day!

Maybe we'll see you on the trail next time....

Judy & Max

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful place! I love your hexies, love the randomness of the colours.....it's like a carpet of flowers.

Fran├žoise said...

Beautiful pictures, and lovely slow quilt! It's nice to be slowing down from time to time.

Lin said...

Super pictures Judy and a great walk. Especially love the columbine - I am a great columbine fan probably because I once lived in 'Columbine Cottage'! Love your hexie quilt. Good to hear your news and looking forward to seeing that purple quilt. xx

Sheila said...

Beautiful cheery hexie quilt and I sure enjoyed your photos , what a beautiful countryside . Thanks for sharing .

Betsy Adams said...

Gorgeous quilt and SO colorful... Love all of your purples an pinks too....

Looks like a marvelous hike and I couldn't resist those cheeseburgers either...

Gorgeous wildflowers... Your area of our country is so beautiful.
Hugs,
Betsy

KaHolly said...

Oh, how lovely! It would be so awesome to visit your neck of the woods to take it all in personally. What gorgeous pictures you shared today.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Just goes to show hexies are addictive!! I love your little wall hanging, it's such lovely colours. Isn't it fun getting a bundle or two of solids. Your photos of flowers and butterflies are beautiful, I can feel the sunshine eminating from them. Max is sweetie with a big smile.

Blackberry Lane said...

A lovely place to hike with family and Max. Thanks for sharing the awesome photos.

Carrie P. said...

looks like you found some really pretty flowers on your hike. So many smells for Max to check out.
Can't wait to see what you make with your solids.