Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Few Finishes

I finished hand quilting the hexie quilt for my studio and I used various colors of pearl cotton thread to quilt it. I decided to go with a simple black border and it's now hanging right above my sewing desk where I get to see it each day.


I finally finished hand quilting the lady of the lake quilt and I like it so well that I decided to put in on our bed! I thought that the wool batting would be too hot for summer, but it actually feels quite nice. Now that I have new colors in our bedroom, it gives me an excuse to make new quilts for the walls. Not that I needed an excuse, mind you ;-)

I've been solar dyeing some corriedale wool and alpaca that I had on hand. I put the fiber in an old recycled mayo jar, poured a spruce acid dye solution over the top and then left it in the sun. After hand carding it I spun it into a thin singles on one of my spindles, then Navajo plied it on my spinning wheel.


I started hand quilting the improv groovy grape quilt and I decided to go with a bright yellow pearl cotton thread. What's happening to me? I like the bright colors now so I'm going to just go with it.

Do you frequent thrift stores? Here in Boise, there are many of them and my son and I like to visit them now and then to see what treasure we'll find. You have to sort through a lot of junk, but it can be worth it. One day Seb was jazzed to find some huge Sony speakers which disappeared into his workout room. Now he can shake the house when he cranks up his stereo. Okay, maybe I could have done without those....The last time I was digging around, I found a roll of something. Hmmm. I unwrapped the plastic covering the roll and discovered linen fabric. My first thought was who would drop off a large roll of linen?? And then I happily loaded it into my cart and brought it home, all 13 yards of it which had a $6 sticker on it. I pulled out my old serger and I've been sewing linen pillow cases, along with a bed sheet for us to use, which seems so decadent, but the linen feels so awesome.

I've wanted to sew a new valance for Seb's bathroom (this has been on my to do list for a couple of years now) and he requested Boise State colors which are bright blue and orange. Another improv piece came to mind which would give me the chance to use up some of the blue scraps that I've been saving and it would just be fun sewing.

Speaking of improv, I tried a liberated block for a textile postcard. It's not quite finished yet, but I thought that I'd share it.

I like to sit on our back patio in the mornings before it gets too hot, and just listen to the birds while hand stitching or knitting. We have a constant stream of hummers that visit the feeder which is so neat to see.


I have sunflowers that are growing in my backyard and yesterday an industrious squirrel decided that one of them had grown enough. He shimmied up the sunflower stalk, chewed the head off, and ran off with his prize.


Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy

5 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh Judy, I just love your posts!!! So full of color and creativity and happy design!!! I love your use of the bright yellow thread - wow!!!

Jennifer said...

Love all those beautiful hand made pieces......your Lady of the Lake is truly gorgeous. What a cheeky squirrel! We have been amused by squirrels when visiting Canada and Alaska as we don't have them here, but I do know they can be a nuisance.

Lin said...

Love your hexies Judy - the colours are gorgeous and the Lady of the Lake is wonderful. No quilts on the bed here but the way it is cooling down it won't be long! Your wool is a lovely colour and what a great find that linen was. I was given a bolt of linen some years ago - unfortunately water marked - but it dyes beautifully and as I like a mottled look to my dyeing the water marks don't matter! xx

Theresa said...

Wow, lots of great finishes! Love the quilt. It's so beautiful and thank you for the input on the wool batting. It must have been nice to quilt.
I am so jealous of your linen find. Enjoy, linen bedding is the BEST!
Pets to the pups.

Carrie P. said...

so many pretty things on this post.
great valance.
I noticed the hexie quilt hanging in your studio photo. It is lovely.