Friday, August 15, 2014

A Lovely Unique Postcard from Lin and Other News

The other day I opened my mailbox and in it there was a lovely postcard from Lin. It had traveled all the way from France, which is so, so cool! Swapping textile postcards is like having a penpal, only a lot more fun as you get to display the neat postcards. Lin's postcard is made from fabric that she created herself and she talks about her work here


Lin created this multi-layer fabric that is quite interesting to look at. Thanks so much for swapping with me, Lin!

I've been working on a small, 10 x 15 inch (25 x 38 cm) improv quilt in greens. Yesterday while working on this quilt I took a photo of my studio which is how it usually looks when I'm working with fabric stacked on every available surface, including my looms. So now I feel better sharing this as this is really how my workspace looks ;-)


My green improv quilt is ready to be hand quilted and for some reason the color on the border is off in my photo. The color is actually a medium spring green, not an olive like it's showing here. Sorry.



I was looking around my studio and noticed the vibrant cones of 10/2 mercerized cotton yarn from Lunatic Fringe (they call it their Tubular Spectrum Gamp Kit) that I had purchased to weave bookmarks on my inkle loom. The colors are intense and the yarn has a nice sheen to it, so I'm using these yarns to quilt my improv quilt.


I'm exploring the liberated method of creating quilt blocks after reading a couple of books by Gwen Marston. Thanks, Gwen, for introducing me to a different way to look at quilting. I love it. I just finished a liberated log cabin block valance for my kitchen in bright colors. 


I'm off to go hiking with my dogs, Max and Sam.

Have a great weekend,
Judy

12 comments:

Birgit Olann said...

What a nice copy of a postcard from fabric, again,! I am amazed about the possibilities the printing of fabric and quilting offers. I also admire your workplace tidy. My room is calling me to clean up ;oD
Greetings, Birgit

Sheila said...

Lovely postcard from Lin , she makes wonderful postcards . Your studio looks quite neat with projects in the making . Love your improv quilting , looks like fun . Hope you enjoyed your hike with the dogs :-)

Linda Coleman said...

Love your mini improv quilt. The centre reminds me of the dolmen stones scattered around the country here. I'd dread to show a photo of my workspace.

Teresa in Music City said...

Wish I could go hiking with you and just talk for hours about all that you have going on!!! Love all the wonderful colors and textures - your blog is a feast for the eyes and such an inspiration!!!

Blackberry Lane said...

Fun to receive a card from France. It's pretty.

Nice to see where you work and create. It's a great space to do what you love best.

You and the doggies have a fun hike!

Jennifer said...

Love your improv quilts! For some reason green doesn't always photograph well, especially yellow-greens - I used to work on a quilt magazine, and we dreaded having green quilts submitted because it could be difficult to make them look good.

Lin said...

It has been great to swap with you again Judy - thank you. I love all the brightly coloured work you are doing at the moment - just stunning. xx

KaHolly said...

What an exquisite postcard!! Love your improv blocks. They are very dramatic. Hope you had a fun hike.

Tammy said...

What a gorgeous improve quilt you've made!! I love that like me, your studio is messy and lived in. I don't know what I'd do if my room was every clean and everything neatly put away. Those threads are gorgeous too. Can't wait to see it all finished!!

A Nudge said...

Those blocks are awesome - so colorful. Thanks for sharing.

Betsy Adams said...

Hi Judy, How's life in Idaho? You mentioned on your sidebar to take the road less traveled. WELL--yesterday we DID. We took a dirt back road (bumpy but awesome) way back in the mountains of the Smokies here in TN and NC... Had a fabulous time --and actually did about 4.5 miles of hiking...

Love that postcard --and your studio looks like one belonging to a very busy and creative lady!!! Keep up the quilting and hiking.
Hugs,
Betsy

Carrie P. said...

neat post card.
I like those blocks. Green is one of my favorite colors.
My studio kind of looks like yours right now.