Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Short Rant and Sewing Baby Quilts

I've been thinking of upgrading my sewing machine as I'm sewing on a 20 year old Bernina. I did some research on new Berninas and just about fell over. Oh, my gosh. When did sewing machine companies start asking $13,000 for their machines?? So I did some research online, and the funny thing is, those super expensive sewing machines get bad reviews for awful stitch quality, not just once, but over and over. So I went down a level to the 7 series and it's the same story. That's rather ironic don't you think given the steep price tag of the machines? And there are quite a few of the 8 series for sale on eBay-people trying hard to get most of their money back. What a heartache that would be! Anyhoo, that's my rant for the day ;-)

I've been sewing baby quilts to donate to the women's shelter in town. I love making baby quilts and these were created using large tumbler blocks and soft cotton flannel fabric.

I finished a small liberated medallion quilt for my studio in various purples, pinks, and just a touch of orange. I'm not sure what happened to the person who mainly worked with neutrals. If you find her, let me know!

Myrtle likes to follow me around the garden as I move from place to place. I'm thankful that she's too fat and slow to catch any of the birds that come to our feeders. Luckily she just yawns and stares at them.

Speaking of gardens, we have some flowers that are putting on a nice show. I thought that I'd share a few photos with you-
Don't you just love the vibrant colors?

I'm off to sew a liberated Dresden quilt for my son's bathroom in his college (Boise State) colors, bright blue and orange. They have their first football game this week. Yay, football is back!!

Here's hoping that you have time for fabric/fiber today,
Judy

10 comments:

Cindie said...

I have the Bernina 440QE that I bought/splurged on 7 years ago - I love it and it wasn't $13K. I think there's a newer model now, maybe it's a 550. I'm not primarily a quilter so I don't know what those think of it for heavy duty quilting but QE does stand for Quilters Edition.

adailydoseoffiber said...

I am one of the VERY unhappy quilters with a Bernina 820. I haven't posted my rant yet! I hate it. It's very difficult to use and very fussy about thread. I have been watching eBay as well. I am hoping to be able to sell it to someone in my quilt guild. I'm debating getting. Sweet 16 as I am still happy with my old Pfaff for the sewing part. Very sad and an expensive mistake!!!!

Jennifer said...

I'm happy with my Bernina Virtuosa 160 even though it's 15 years old - don't know if that model was available outside Australia, though. It's been looked after and serviced regularly, and was just one step down from an embroidery machine (which I didn't want) and several steps up from being a basic model. It's a great workhorse. Love those bright colours of yours!

Theresa said...

It is appalling what some sewing machine prices are. I just stick to the used market. I have an older Bernina, which Gene uses, Virtuosa 150 and a number of older Pfafs, which I like better for their built in walking foot.
There really is no reason to upgrade if your machine works well. The new ones are no longer made in Switzerland.
Great little liberated quilt!

KaHolly said...

Those are some pretty steep prices. I resisted the urge to purchase a new machine for years, but finally succumbed to a Janome Horizon 8200
this summer. I'm not a gadget person and am a dinosaur when things get too techy, but this machine is a dream and easy to use. And the price was right. Good luck with your search for just the right machine for you!

Carrie P. said...

Looks like you got your inspriation for you medallion quilt from your garden. I like it. Sometimes it is fun to work in bright colors. Like you I usually make my quilts in earth tones.

Barb N said...

Love the purple flower photo! I sew with a 20-year-old Viking - it's such a work horse, it just never gives up! I bought my Gammill long arm a couple of years ago because it wasn't too much more than those sewing machines you mentioned. Of course it doesn't do all they do, but my Viking keeps me in stitches and my Gammill keeps everything all together beautifully!

Lin said...

I have a very basic Bernina 1008 which is about 9 years old. Nothing much in the way of fancy stitches but it never lets me down. The more the machine does the more there is that is likely to go wrong! Nice to see your little quilt finished - gorgeous and I love those colours. Great flowers. I spotted a yellow crocus that had popped up in a desolate border this morning while hanging out my washing and I have some other gorgeous flowers around too. xx

CATHY DANIEL said...

Hi Judy - looks to me like you're doing great with the machine you've got! Your little quilt is just beautiful. Football? Seriously? Must be more entertaining than British football, that's all I can say! xCathy

Teresa in Music City said...

Let me clap while you rant Judy!!! The prices they ask for machines these days is OBSCENE!!!! Total price jabbing! I have a Janome 6600 that I bought new about 8 years ago and it does a fine job. The price was a lot to me back then, but in today's prices it was a steal! It's not perfect and has its issues, but we work well together for the most part. I like the deeper throat and use it mainly for quilting and decorative stitches, and the built-in walking foot of course. I'm hoping we have many happy stitching years together before she goes to sewing machine heaven.

A couple of years ago I bought an old "new-to-me" Bernina 180E from a friend at my guild for a very low price. She was the only owner and had taken great care of it. I use it primarily for straight stitch sewing - stitching up blocks etc. It also has the embroidery module which I've used a couple of times. For the best machine stitch though, I love using my Featherweight which I paid $250 for! Prettiest stitch of them all, and I understand most of the older, antique machines are your best buy unless you want embroidery modules and decorative stitches. I recently inherited a Singer 99K and can't wait to clean it up and start using it :)

Thanks for the pics - that purple flower is AMAZING!!!! I can almost smell its perfume from here in Nashville :*)