Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Textile Postcards and Other News

For some time now I've been thinking about textile postcards as I wanted to swap cards with Lin and she does such nice work it really challenged me to create something special. Her card is done and its winging its way to France, so I can't share that photo just yet. I did create another postcard for someone who I don't think reads my blog, so it should be safe to share. I used batiks and cotton fabric that I had dyed along with silk ribbon embroidery to embellish it. It's 4 x 6 inches (10 cm x 15 cm) and it was just a lot of fun to make!

 I've been sewing hexies in the evenings, using batiks and solids, and I wanted two coasters to go with the new colors in my studio. The fronts of the coasters look like this

 and here's the backs. I've not really used much gray fabric in the past, but it's growing on me and I'm starting to like it more and more.

I've been reading Gwen Marston's book Liberated Quiltmaking ll and also her book Minimal Quiltmaking. She's a great author who challenges you to think outside the box (is that allowed??) and to find your own creative voice. After reading those books I decided to do a improvisational medallion quilt for my studio using batiks, solids and hand dyed fabric that I've dyed over the years. The top isn't finished yet, but I thought that I'd share what I've done so far-



Switching subjects to one of my favorites, the great state of Idaho, I recently drove my parents to a forest fire lookout, the Thorn Creek Butte lookout, which is 25 miles (40 km) from Boise. I meant to drive up forest service road 203, but I didn't have my GPS on and I was chatting with my parents, so I missed the road. Darn. Rather than drive miles back, we chose to drive up forest service road 304 which took us past the Bald Mountain campground where we stopped for a picnic lunch. Then we pushed on towards the lookout which was a very scenic drive, a bit challenging in spots which made me rather thankful for a four wheel drive vehicle. My old Landcruiser that I drive did just fine :-) I was glad that we didn't meet any other vehicles as the road is quite narrow. We drove around the last bend in the road past a lovely field of lupines providing a wash of a soft lavender color


to arrive at the lookout, elevation 7550 feet (2.3 km). It was boarded up since there was no one using it but the stairs were available to climb up.

The views were outstanding once we climbed up the stairs with mountains as far as one could see from every side of the lookout.


Max had a great time running around, exploring the area.


On the way back home to Boise we stopped in Idaho City at Trudy's Kitchen where we had some coffee with some wonderful huckleberry cheesecake. Mmmmm. Outstanding. Someone told me the calories don't count if you're with friends or family ;-)

Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric,
Judy


12 comments:

Gwen said...

Wonderful postcard and nice report :).
Greetings Gwen

Blackberry Lane said...

You do such pretty work. Nice to see your parents and Max with you enjoying the gorgeous scenery. What a nice surprise to see the flowers.

A Nudge said...

Great projects all, Judy. Love the armchair travel. Wow! that is some blue sky you have in Idaho.

Jennifer said...

That view goes on forever! Huckleberry cheesecake sounds very nice......and your studio quilt, postcard and coasters are berry coloured, too. Nice!

Lin said...

Great post Judy - I love the colours you are using at the moment - the postcard is stunning and your medallion is just fantastic. And what stunning views from your lookout - a great day out. Reading this reminds me that I must go check my postbox. xx

Barb N said...

Such a great collection of projects you've been working on! And Wild Lupines are my favorite!

Birgit Olann said...

I've never seen a patchwork map. It looks very classy. I like the colors very much and remind you of summer and sea.
All the best, Birgit

KaHolly said...

Delightful post!! Such beautiful scenery. I'm envious and hope to explore that area some day.

Janet said...

Fantastic view from that lookout! And so wonderful that your parents are able to enjoy a romp with you. I like the improv work that you are playing with. I must do more of that.

KB Design said...

Danke dir, wunderschöne Landschaft, da bekomme ich Reiselust.

Liebe Grüsse
Brigitte

CATHY DANIEL said...

I love the idea of textile postcards - do show some more when you do them. Your hexies are great and loving your 'outside the box' piece so far! Always good to see more of Idaho too - stunning landscapes. xCathy

Egléa Senna said...

Você está fazendo lindos trabalhos! Parabéns!
O cartão é muito delicado! Vi a foto do cartão rosa que você enviou para a Lin, muito lindo! Parabéns!
Afagos para o Max e o Sam!
Um abraço!

You are doing beautiful work! Congratulations!
The card is very delicate! I saw the photo of the pink card you sent to Lin, very beautiful! Congratulations!
Cuddles for Max and Sam!
Hugs!