Translate

Friday, January 9, 2015

Creative News

I had a wonderful holiday season spent with my family, enjoying the snow, good food, and then just taking it easy for a bit while watching some good football, especially Ohio State rolling over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Woohoo!!! Do you make resolutions for the new year? I was reading someone's blog the other day and she mentioned that she sets goals instead. I realized that I do the same and this year my goals are close to last year's: to stay fit and try to exercise like I should; and to challenge myself creatively to try new things, and this year I want to experiment with silk screen fabric printing.

Recently I moved my Baby Wolf loom back into my studio, wanting to start weaving again after a long break. I don't know why, but having it in another room made me not want to weave. Okay-that's good to know about myself-the loom is back to where it used to be, and I'm weaving again. Nice! This is a warp that I put on the loom in order to weave kitchen towels, way back in December 2013, with various colors of 8/2 cotton. I set it up as a four shaft twill and I wanted to be able to play with different colors in the weft.

First off was a tomato red weft:




Don't you just love the texture that you can achieve with weaving-seeing those short floats and the little bursts of color? I put on some good music and threw the shuttle for a long while. It felt really good.

A sunny yellow weft:


And a bright turquoise weft:



On the quilting side of things, I received my first quilted postcard from Egléa, who blogs at Jeito Mineiro De Ser, and who lives in Brazil. How neat is that?? I was delighted to see the envelope with the postmark from Brazil waiting for me in my mailbox.


Thanks so much for a lovely postcard! Sheila, who organized the Christmas postcard exchange, is starting another one with a Valentine theme if you want to sign up.

On the quilting side of things, I have an overflowing neutral scrap container which meant it was a good time for an improv or free form quilt. I'm calling it my "Why Not?" quilt, as I'm combining solids, batiks, and traditional fabrics all in one quilt. Gosh. I think that I'm breaking some sort of quilting rule by doing that-shhhh, don't tell ;-) I love the freedom of the quilt form and I have 37 blocks done so far.



The other day my husband, Marshall, and I were out hiking with our dogs and came across some little tracks in the snow. A raccoon, maybe?

Here's hoping that you have time for fabric/fiber today,
Judy

15 comments:

  1. Your weaving is beautiful.It must be wonderful to see the patterns emerge as you work. I love your quilting project, I don't think there are rules about mixing fabrics, and if there are good on you for ignoring them. All the best for your 2015 goals, being fit and creative sounds like a great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours you have chosen for your weaving......so vibrant! Your improv blocks take me to a forest at the end of winter, bare trees with hints of green here and there. Nothing wrong with the occasional chocolate, is there - specially if you leave off the whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful weaving, i love the colours. How long does it take to weave one yard or meter?

    Your goals...to stay fit...i forgot to write it down...because i know, i will fail. No chance...sport is on TV at Julimonds Home...;-)
    Your way is really better.
    I wish you a wonderful new year

    Greetings
    Iris from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful projects! I love the sunny yarns on your loom.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours, really fresh and bright. You are great at improv quilts. Glad you had a great Christmas and best wishes for 2015

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindas tecelagens, Lyn!
    Eu admiro muito as pessoas que fazem tecelagem. Eu tentei uma vez mas não me apaixonei. Aqui, proximo da minha cidade, há uma pequena cidade chamada "Resende Costa" onde existem muitas, muitas, muitas pessoas que tecem e lojas que vendem peças feitas em tear. Eu fiz alguns cards com estes tecidos.
    Você foi muito gentil com o meu card. Obrigada! Vamos trocar mais no futuro!
    Bom fim de semana!

    Beautiful weavings, Lyn!
    I admire people who do weaving. I tried once but fell in love. Here, near my city, there is a small town called "Resende Costa" where there are many, many, many people who weave and shops selling pieces made in looms. I made some cards with these tissues.
    You were very kind to my card. Thank you! We will exchange more in the future!
    Good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh ... I'm sorry Judy, I changed your name in my comment above! Please pardon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you weaving again Judy and some lovely colour combinations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you weaving , you make such lovely things . Your improv quilt is really pretty , I like those neutrals . Nice card from Eglea and thanks for mentioning the swap .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy you are so talented. Your loom and weaving fascinate me, I would love to see it done in person. The colors are so rich and gorgeous. Your quilting is also beautiful. You amaze me with all your talents and I appreciate your sharing them. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful weaving you do and your improv piecing in neutrals is just fabulous. The part I love most about improv piecing is that there are no rules! What an amazing quilt that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOO! your weaving is so pretty.
    I really like your improv quilt. I think the mix of fabrics is going to work out well.
    Great photo in your header.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your weaving just makes my heart sing. So very pretty. Love your new header picture, altho' it makes me feel cold!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Du bist eine Künstlerin! Ich bewundere deine Webarbeiten und die Farben hast du super ausgewählt. Dein Quilt wird auch genau nach meinem Geschmack. Frei schneiden macht das ganze sehr interessant.

    Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz und geniesse den Schnee
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, nice to see a loom appearance. Do you still have the big one too? So many beautiful things on your post. What fun 2015 is starting out to be.
    Could be skunk tracks too, they have little hand and foot like paws also.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy