An Bland Oatmeal Quilt Transformed

Before I forget, I wanted to share with you the wonderful Valentine's postcard that Linda made for me during the swap that Sheila organized.

 Don't you just love the vintage looking flowers? Linda has a cool stamp that she uses on the back of her postcards.

And I thought that you'd like to see the Canadian stamp.

I forgot to take photos of the Valentine's postcards that I mailed out to Linda and to Sheila, but if you go on their blogs, you can see photos. I painted the background fabric using textile paints and then appliqued hearts over that, which was a lot of fun.

Okay, I know you're thinking, what the heck is an oatmeal quilt? This past week I started an improv quilt for my family room using a variety of fabrics from batiks to prints to solids. I pieced ten blocks, put them up on my studio wall and I realized that they reminded me of bland oatmeal because just about every fabric had the same value. You know what gloppy oatmeal looks like and you eat it because it's good for you, but it can be rather uninspiring by itself. 

I don't know about you, but when I'm stumped with a quilting/weaving project I either go for a long walk with my dogs or set out for a bike ride. And while I'm out enjoying the fresh air, I'm thinking about color/texture/design and how to solve the problem that I'm facing. It came to me about four blocks from my house that I needed to add more color and I needed to add different values for visual interest. So I started scrolling through the color wheel in my head while I'm walking home and I decided to add bright orange, acid green, sunny yellow, and plum. I fairly ran home to start quilting again-I cut up all of the previous blocks into smaller units and remade each one.

This is where I am so far and I can tell you it's much, much better :-)



It went from boring oatmeal to oatmeal with cranberries and orange zest. Okay, no more talk of food-I'm not starving, honest.

On the weaving side of things, I'm still playing with the long 8/2 cotton warp that I put on for weaving twill kitchen towels. This time I'm using a navy 8/2 cotton weft and the weave structure is crepe weave from A Handweaver's Pattern Book by Marguerite P. Davison.



The other day my husband and I were out hiking in the foothills with our two dogs and we noticed this bird's nest swinging in the breeze.

 I saw a few small mushrooms growing in amongst the sagebrush.

And an interesting erosion break in the hillside close to us.


Well, I'm off to create more improv blocks. It's a rough life, but I'll soldier on ;-)

Here's hoping that you have time for fabric/fiber today,
Judy

Comments

  1. Oh, I'm so glad I stopped by today. Your photos are such a nice blend of everything I love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eu ri muito da comparação com aveia. As cores que você acrescentou deu sabor. Agora está alegre!
    Eu também penso nas minhas costuras quando estou longe delas.
    O trabalho de tear é grande.
    Belas fotos de coisas simples. A vida é muito boa quando nós sabemos olhar em volta.
    Um abraço!

    I laughed a lot of comparison with oats. The colors you gave added flavor. Now is gay!
    I also think about my seams when I'm away from them.
    The loom work is great.
    Beautiful pictures of simple things. Life is very good when we know look around.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Judy,
    I entirely love your improve quilt blocks, they look so interesting and I'm sure, this will be a great and funny quilt!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts behind the creative process! The sweet Valentine AMC made me smile! Take care, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a harmonic structure and I like the color change of your weaving, too. From a distance it looks like a carpet that was at my grandparents house. Also, the carved spoon your husband is wonderful, so smooth and even. Yes, I see the sun's rays as well!
    A first card I stitched this days after a watercolor by Andreas Felger (he coloured it for psalms), now it will be a last greeting to a dear friend.
    Best for you, Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your improv quilt......it might say 'oatmeal' to you, but it says 'autumn' to me! That's a gorgeous postcard, too. Your weavings - is there such a word? - are always interesting, as well......and I love seeing the pictures of where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that postcard if very cool. I love your oatmeal quilt, you've zested it nicely!! You are such a talented lady with your quilting and knitting and spinning. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That valentines card is so perfect for Valentines with it's vintage flowers. Love your improv blocks! Isn't it great the more you add the better they get. Your weaving is amazing, such intricate patterns in the weave, it's a good contrast to liberated peicing. great glimpses of your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda's card is lovely Judy - she is talented. Love the way you are giving new life to your oatmeal quilt. Super pictures from your walk too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even notice the lovely stamp when I mailed off your postcard. Glad you liked it. Your improv quilt is just fabulous! Your added colours have made the oatmeal look very tasty lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your improv quilt looks amazing , such a nice blend of colour , really beautiful !Lovely weaving , you do such beautiful work .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oatmeal with cranberry and orange zest... but what is the green? The colours are lovely together. Interesting to see the postcard with the $1 stamp. I didn't realize I could send a postcard for $1. Hmm. I put $2.40 on the ones I sent overseas. I'm intrigued to see your weaving. I am taking a course next weekend - haven't done any weaving for 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOO! yummy "oatmeal"
    that postcard is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy