Translate

Friday, April 24, 2015

Creative News From My House

The other day I spent a very fun afternoon with a friend dyeing wool. We had tables set up on my back patio,  our dyeing supplies spread out, and a camp stove set up to steam the dyed wool. It's been a long time since I've done any dyeing and the first batch that I did was six ounces (170 g) of Bluefaced Leicester top, otherwise known to spinners as BFL. I spot dyed that with the following dye solutions: a soft yellow; a spring green; and a medium lilac. I left open areas of the creamy natural wool just to see how it would look. I spun this on my spinning wheel at a ratio of 7.5:1.


I haven't started knitting socks with this yet as I'm making myself finish my current pair of socks that I have on my needles, but I can hardly wait to try it!

I participated in a spring postcard swap sponsored by Sheila, and my partner this time was Egléa who created a wonderful postcard filled with unique flowers and Easter eggs. Her postcard came this week, and it was so neat to see it waiting for me in my mailbox.



Thanks so much for the lovely postcard!!

I sent out a postcard with a freeform rose that I had made out of hand painted fabric that I cut into strips and then wound around in a circle as I stitched it down.


I finally got a warp on my vintage Harrisville Model A loom and I have it set up to weave the pattern called Ms and Os. Okay-it's a strange weaving title I know-but it's a cool weave structure to play with! The warp is cottolin in a natural color and the weft is a hemp yarn in natural. I'm weaving 16 inch (41 cm) square washcloths that are a bit stiff now, but I know that the hemp will soften over time.



Isn't it rather neat to see the floats emerge across the handwoven fabric? 


I just finished a quilt that I've been working on-I got bogged down on-taking a block from the Vintage Quilt Revival book. The block is the classic tea leaf block and I sewed strips of batiks together to create parts of each block along with Kona cotton solids for the center blocks.



I quilted bubbles in all of the background triangles and squares and let me tell you, I'm not doing bubbles any time soon!! I quilted wavy lines in the green sections using various Sulky rayon threads.
Woohoo-it's done and hanging on the wall in my family room....


Yesterday morning I was cycling along the Boise River, just enjoying the fresh air, the wonderful view and the sparkle of the sunlight on the river.

I cycled by a kite sculpture that brought back fond memories of flying a kite while growing up in Nebraska. Good memories.

And Mr. Giraffe had his head up to where he could see over the back fence at the Boise Zoo, watching the joggers and cyclists flow by while munching on his breakfast.

I just had to stop cycling to take a photo of this nest that was built on a crane way up in the air.


Do you think that the baby birds have one chance to get their first flight right or it's goners for them? Wow, that would be rather daunting, wouldn't it?

Our Angelique tulips are putting on a lovely show in our backyard.


And the bee balm is coming along nicely, which is great to see.


Well, on this rainy morning I'm off to throw my shuttle and then start a new quilt. 

Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy

14 comments:

  1. Dear Judy
    You have spun a wonderful yarn for knitting. I should spin much more, but without dying. I have no place to do this.
    Your quilt is great and is perfect for this wall. I have to learn machinequilting soon to finish all my quilting Tops.

    I wish you a wonderful weekend in Idaho.

    Iris from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow---what a gorgeous area you live in. I'd want to be outside all Spring just enjoying that river/area.... NEAT.

    Your talents are amazing.. Love the new quilt --and I'm sure it looks great hanging in your home.

    Beautiful post cards also.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a delicious post.....where to start! Your green quilt is perfect for spring, isn't it? Wonderful postcards too, where do people get such creative ideas! Your dyed yarn will knit up beautifully, I look forward to seeing it.

    Have a wonderful spring weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have the prettiest coloured yarns. I like how you spot dyed it to get the mix of colours. You're have lots of fun with your postcard swaps. Your new quilt looks great hanging. Thanks for taking us out on your adventures, fancy seeing a giraffe and a nest in a crane! Have fun creating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm - that wool looks lovely! Lovely card from Eglea and yours to her was very pretty. That weave looks interesting - does it shrink when wet or will it stay the same? As usual lots of lovely things to look at Judy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, we love all your wonderful fiber projects. That yarn you spun is beautifully colored, and your photos are fabulous. You are very talented ! We really enjoy your blog ! Thank you, from Marina and Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always exciting to see how the colors change on the Roving for spinning. Great!
    The woven Muste also looks very interesting as snow drifts.
    The crane work will hopefully be resumed only when the young birds are fledged.
    Enjoy the day, Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liebe Judy
    Ein wundervolles Garn hast du gezaubert, genau nach meinem Geschmack. Weben noch dazu, wie ich dich bewundere.
    Ob das Nest jemals Jungvögel hervorbringt ist wohl fraglich, der Ort scheint nicht gerade der Beste zu sein.
    Danke auch für die Blumen- und Quiltbilder, du bist unglaublich produktiv.

    Ein schönes Wochenende und liebe Grüsse nach Idaho, das wünscht dir

    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um monte de atividade por aí. Uau!
    Eu amei as cores do fio tingido! Lindo!
    A costura ficou muito bem na sua sala!
    Eu fico feliz que o cartão chegou bem! Eu não me acostumo com esta demora do correio.
    Vamos trocar outros cartões no futuro.
    Você mostrou as camélias o ano passado e elas vieram novamente este ano. Isto é muito bom para ver. Elas são perfumadas?
    Afagos para os cães e gatos.
    Para você um abraço carinhoso!

    A lot of activity there. Wow!
    I loved the colors of dyed yarn! Beautiful!
    The seam was great in your room!
    I'm glad that the card arrived good! I do not get used to this delay mail.
    We will exchange the other cards in the future.
    You showed camellias last year and they came again this year. This is very good to see. They are fragrant?
    Cuddles for dogs and cats.
    You a warm hug!
    Egléa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful yarn Judy! You've been busy as always. Love your weaving too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some BL locks that are waiting to be dyed! Life gets too busy during lambing time.
    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judy
    I love your colours and your projects. I am a novice at spinning and dyeing, so look forward to your posts as our sheep Southdowns are due to be sheared in the next few weeks and I'm sure I will learn some good tips from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! So much to see in this post. Love it all. Oh to be able to visit a giraffe on a daily outing! Love the wool and the weaving and the quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the way you have done your free form rose. Your free motion quilting is excellent too. Doing all those circles would be a challenge. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy