Translate

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Creative News From My House

A short time ago I was in the store browsing through fabric for a quilt for our bed and I came across a lovely collection by Moda that is called Whitewashed Cottage. The soft colors range from mellow yellows to soft peaches along with light grays. As soon as I saw the collection I knew that these would be the perfect serene fabrics for a quilt for our bedroom.



Happily, they came home with me! For the past few weeks I've been thinking about what pattern/block I wanted to use and I've gone back and forth on what I wanted. Then yesterday I realized that I wanted to go with a simple log cabin block that would showcase the fabrics and that would be fun to hand quilt. So today or tomorrow, I'll start cutting out the strips to start my new quilt. *Happiness*

Do you remember the BFL top that I had been spinning? Well, I finished knitting the socks and I wore them for the first time. Yeah, I know, I'm seriously addicted to sock knitting.


I finished weaving the cottolin/hemp washcloths on my vintage Harrisville loom, cut them off the loom, and then I sewed the hems by hand. I washed them on hot in my washing machine and dried them on hot to shrink them. So they went from an open sett/look


to a handwoven fabric that has a lovely hand/feel to it. I love it when a weaving project turns out just the way that I had hoped!
 

The past few mornings I've been spinning a silk hankie or mawata silk square that was dyed by Frabjous Fibers and this is the colorway called "Daffodil".


I've never spun a silk hankie before, so I did a YouTube search for it, and watched how someone else spun theirs. Isn't it awesome to be able to do that? You pull one thin layer off the stack, like this.
 

Then you put a hole in the center and gently pull the silk until it makes a larger and larger ring. I've found that I like to predraft the silk to the size that I want before I start spinning.
 

This is predrafted and ready for me to spin-such fun!
 

In a rather serendipitous turn, I found a cone of tencel in just the perfect shade of burnt orange in my weaving hutch to go with this silk, so my plan is to weave a summer silk scarf with this silk yarn that I just finished. I've never woven anything like this before, so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

One day this past week, a friend and I had a dyeing day on my back patio where I had set up my dye solutions, a microwave and a camp stove. The night before I had weighed out fiber and placed it in bags so that my fiber would be ready to go.

For this batch, I just started pulling colors as I thought of them, so I used turquoise, tangerine, bright blue, a soft rose, and a medium brown at 1/4 strength. This is 4 ounces (114 g) of superwash BFL from Paradise Fibers.


I liked it so much that I started spinning with it as soon as it was dry :-)
 

Another batch was dyed using black cherry, a soft rose, and a light pink.


For this batch, I pulled colors that appealed to me (I'm trying to use different color combinations to push myself out of my comfort zone), so I went with: a strong, sunny yellow; a medium violet; turquoise; and bright blue. I painted the dyes using long strips of color for a different effect on this wool top.


I left my dyeing supplies out, so one day this week I thought that I'd dye four or five more batches of wool. So for the past few days, I've been thinking about color combinations, and when one comes to mind, I make a note of it. I daydream about color, do you?

Here's hoping that you have time for fabric/fiber today,
Judy

11 comments:

  1. What a colourful post.....like you, I can't imagine life without colour! Love that pretty range of fabric, it's very delicate - and your dyed yarn will make up beautifully. Looking forward to seeing your silk scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Super motivating! I just happen to have almost all of those very items that you have been working with in my studio....I think it may just be the time to go pull them out!! thanks for the push!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Judy. Those fabrics look gorgeous and I am looking forward to watching progress on your log cabin using them. The socks look great - snuggly too I expect. Thanks for showing before and after of your handwoven cloth. Yes colour is fantastic! Do you know the books by Ruth Issett on colour and dyeing?
    Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful read , lots of interesting things happening at your house . Love those fabrics and I think a log cabin will be wonderful ! Of course I love those socks , still working on mine . Oh the dying projects look fabulous such pretty colours and the silk , well what can I say except incredible !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric :)
    And wool....
    you have been busy!
    I have started dyeing some locks, but i have not yet tried color combinations...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, you've cheered up a rainy Monday with those beautif colours. Great socks. Can't wait to see the end result for the silk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so much fun with the fibres! I don't even have an inkling of understanding what you are doing with the silk but I am sure it will turn out beautiful. Love the socks too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the socks! I haven't been brave enough to spin for socks, yet.
    Silk hankies were one of the first fibers I learned to spin with. Fun, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely delightful post! Left me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such pretty colors! I have not yet knitted a pair or socks. Bought the books & double tipped needles, yet it still seems hard for me. Maybe this winter...it has fun fun looking & reading your posts today, such a pretty place you live in,phyllis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy