Translate

Monday, October 12, 2015

An Awesome Fall Motorcycle Ride

On Saturday my husband, Marshall, and I set out on our motorcycles to explore a fire lookout that's been on our list of places to visit, the Jackson fire lookout. We rode a twisty highway for miles, enjoying the lovely fall colors flash by, to forest service road 384 that follows the Crooked River, then turning on NF-312. We rode for miles into the backcountry, seeing many campers enjoying the warm fall weekend. The aspens have turned a lovely yellow, adding to the wonderful view. Do you see the white line running along the side of the mountain? That was the dirt road that we were following to the summit where the fire lookout was located.


The last bit of road climbed 4000 feet in a short distance, so I was rather glad that I wasn't pedaling it, or I wouldn't have been pedaling, I would have been pushing my bike! This was one of the best maintained forest service roads that we've been on. 


The fire lookout was unmanned and the stairs were locked, so we stood on a pile of boulders to take in the view.



While we were taking in the view, we could hear the yipping of coyotes or wolves close by, which was rather haunting to listen to. The elevation was 8100 feet and off in the distance we could see the jagged peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains.


I love Idaho!!
One must carry a hat to cover up mashed helmet hair....


In the end, we rode for eight hours, and I was so sore and tired yesterday I could barely move, so it was a very good day to sit on a sofa to hand quilt a four patch quilt. 
And not move.
 I'm almost done with the quilt so I'll share photos of it soon.

Happy stitching,
Judy

8 comments:

  1. Hi Judy,
    it seems that you had as good weather as we had in Germany during the week end. What a great landscape - I am sure you had a wonderful week end.

    Viele Gruesse
    Margit

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stunning scenery Judy. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Judy

    Dass du deine Gegend liebst, kann ich verstehen. Mir wäre ea da auch sehr wohl und würde eine kleine Fahrt mit so einer Aussicht geniessen.
    Am anderen Tag ausspannen und quilten, das kenne ich doch auch.

    Herzliche Grüsse
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous ride! The views are spectacular. Good thing you went Saturday before the fire erupted near Idaho City.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures! What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Judy - finally got to read your post. The photographs are stunning and the view from the top is amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place! I love mountains.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy