Have you caught the flu or a virus this winter?
My family and I had been quite healthy until one day
when we all came down with a rather nasty virus
that knocked us down for over two weeks.
I haven't been that sick in years!
I'm quite glad that we've seen the last of that....
Needless to say, I haven't done much lately,
but some days I felt well enough to do a bit of sewing.
I'm continuing with the scrap quilt,
vintage block theme.
I was inspired by a quilt, Lauren's Hat Pins,
by Carol Hopkins in her book
Civil War Legacies II.
I've always like the shoofly quilt block
so this quilt was fun to make.
I have to admit something to you.
While I was sewing the T
block quilt, there were small half-square triangles that
were leftover that I saved.
I know, I know.
I'm meant to be getting rid of scraps!
But I used them in this shoofly quilt so it worked out ;-)
I modified the quilt design as I discovered that I had
a lot of 2" (5 cm) strips, so in place of sashing,
I sewed strips around each block
log cabin style.
I want to sew two borders on the quilt, starting with a narrow yellow border.
While I was sewing the blocks, I realized I needed
a bit of zing, so I added orange, plum, acid green,
and spring green to the mix.
The blocks are 8" (20 cm) and the quilt
measures 56 x 80 (142 x 203 cm)
On the spinning side of things, I just finished spinning/plying some BFL that I dyed last May.
This was an experiment to see how long bands of color-sunny yellow,
sky blue, aqua, and plum-would look once spun.
So I painted the dyes on the wool top in 20" (50 cm) lengths,
rolled the wool top up in plastic wrap,
and steamed it in a canning pot to set the dyes.
Right now on my wheel, I'm spinning more BFL
that has been dyed a soft yellow, rose, lilac,
sky blue, and spring green.
My husband loves making unusual kitchen implements,
and I have a container full of them.
I have to admit that some of them are so lovely
I can't bring myself to use them,
so I have them where I can admire them each day in my kitchen!
He hand carves each spoon, slowly creating each
spoon in an unique form until he's happy with the result.
Right now he's creating bird houses for us to put around our house,
so maybe we'll be able to see more chickadees.
On the weaving side of things, I'm slowly setting up my
Baby Wolf loom to weave an overshot runner
using one of Bertha Gray Hayes
miniature overshot patterns.
For the weavers out there, I'm using a 16/2 mercerized cotton yarn in ivory
for the warp, with a sett of 30 epi.
I have almost 600 ends to thread through heddles,
so I work on it an hour or so each day.
I haven't woven with fine threads much,
so this project is a stretch for me.
I have people ask me how long it takes to weave a project,
and I laughingly think to myself if you have to ask,
you probably shouldn't take up weaving,
as weaving on a floor loom isn't for the faint of heart
or the impatient.
When it's done, it's done.
Here's hoping that you have creative time this week,