Creative News

Have you caught the flu or a virus this winter? 
My family and I had been quite healthy until one day 
when we all came down with a rather nasty virus 
that knocked us down for over two weeks. 
Phew. 
I haven't been that sick in years! 
I'm quite glad that we've seen the last of that....

Needless to say, I haven't done much lately,
but some days I felt well enough to do a bit of sewing.
I'm continuing with the scrap quilt, 
vintage block theme.
 I was inspired by a quilt, Lauren's Hat Pins,
 by Carol Hopkins in her book
Civil War Legacies II.
I've always like the shoofly quilt block
so this quilt was fun to make.

I have to admit something to you. 
While I was sewing the T
block quilt, there were small half-square triangles that
were leftover that I saved. 
I know, I know.
I'm meant to be getting rid of scraps!
But I used them in this shoofly quilt so it worked out ;-)
I modified the quilt design as I discovered that I had
a lot of 2" (5 cm) strips, so in place of sashing,
I sewed strips around each block
log cabin style.
I want to sew two borders on the quilt, starting with a narrow yellow border.
While I was sewing the blocks, I realized I needed
a bit of zing, so I added orange, plum, acid green, 
and spring green to the mix.
The blocks are 8" (20 cm) and the quilt
measures 56 x 80 (142 x 203 cm)
before borders.


On the spinning side of things, I just finished spinning/plying some BFL that I dyed last May.
This was an experiment to see how long bands of color-sunny yellow,
sky blue, aqua, and plum-would look once spun.
So I painted the dyes on the wool top in 20" (50 cm) lengths,
rolled the wool top up in plastic wrap,
and steamed it in a canning pot to set the dyes.






Right now on my wheel, I'm spinning more BFL
that has been dyed a soft yellow, rose, lilac, 
sky blue, and spring green.


My husband loves making unusual kitchen implements,
and I have a container full of them. 
 I have to admit that some of them are so lovely
I can't bring myself to use them,
so I have them where I can admire them each day in my kitchen!
He hand carves each spoon, slowly creating each
spoon in an unique form until he's happy with the result.




Right now he's creating bird houses for us to put around our house,
so maybe we'll be able to see more chickadees.

On the weaving side of things, I'm slowly setting up my
Baby Wolf loom to weave an overshot runner
using one of Bertha Gray Hayes
miniature overshot patterns.
For the weavers out there, I'm using a 16/2 mercerized cotton yarn in ivory
for the warp, with a sett of 30 epi.
I have almost 600 ends to thread through heddles, 
so I work on it an hour or so each day.
I haven't woven with fine threads much, 
so this project is a stretch for me.

I have people ask me how long it takes to weave a project, 
and I laughingly think to myself if you have to ask,
you probably shouldn't take up weaving,
as weaving on a floor loom isn't for the faint of heart
or the impatient.
When it's done, it's done.


Here's hoping that you have creative time this week,
Judy




Comments

  1. Those spoons are beautiful and works of art! Love your dyed yarns....wonderful colors. Glad you are back on your feet and recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you all are well now. Getting a flu isn´t good anytime. My daughter stands right befor her school leaving examination and is afraid becoming ill now.
    Inspite of it all you´ve created beautifull workpieces. The colour of your yarn reminds me of spring. Judy, all the best for you, Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Judy, that quilt is stunning! Your yarn and weaving are awesome, I can't imagine the hours that go into weaving and the patience it takes. I'll stick with embroidery I think. Your pup is so cute! Glad you are all well and back on your feet, it's a nasty bug going around this year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the look of a new thingie of yarn. I just can't knit, though! Lovely quilting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that you have been unwell Judy but it does not seem to have slowed you up too much! I love the quilt top and as usual your yarns are gorgeous. Marshall's spoons look beautiful - so tactile. Have a great week Judy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the way you set your shoo fly blocks. It has a 3D look about it. Your experiment with plying coloured yarn was a huge success from what I can see, the colours are all so pretty together. How special to cook with spoons that are hand carved by your husband. I hope you're all feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are all feeling better. Your yarn is beautiful! I am back spinning fingerling, it is hard for me to let go & spin more bulky for some reason.I love spinning more that using the yarn!The colors you created are beautiful.
    What an awesome thing to have your hubby`s hand created utensils to use in your kitchen! Your pup is so cute,have a great week ahead!phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're feeling better. From this post, it sure looks like you were busy anyway!
    I'm fascinated how the colors change so much from dyed fiber to spun yarn. And to start with a natural color, what a leap! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you've all been sick! Glad you're feeling better. Sure love that quilt and I ALWAYS enjoy seeing what you've been spinning. This last batch is gorgeous! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shoo fly pattern is great but the strips you sewed around them really make it sing! Great design! And as always, I love your yarn. You have such a gift for coming up with luscious colors...you should sell it! Glad to hear you're feeling like you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful yarn! I love the colours. We've been sick with things and never so much so!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I do love the shoo fly pattern, & I love the way you've set it making such depth. Just beautiful. I think I would love weaving too, but need more space & time too! Your spins are looking very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy