Translate

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Creative News From My House

Hello there!
I haven't posted in a while as I've been moving sprinklers in
our front yard. Not very exciting, I'm afraid,
but necessary in this dry climate that we live in. 
We've discovered some dry zones in the yard 
(ahem, dead plants)
that needed to be addressed 
sooner rather than later.
Hence the digging.

My husband, Marshall, has been creating some
unique bird houses in his shop.
And one of them now has milk paint on it, 
so it's ready to share with you.
He's currently working on curved designs
for two more birdhouses.
We'll be getting the ladder out soon
to hang these around our yard
and hopefully we'll see some bird
occupants using them!


 I finished the London Square quilt top!!
It was rather hard to photograph due to it's size
of 64 x 80 inches (162 x 203 cm),
so sorry for the wonky photo.


Since this was designed as a snuggle under quilt for the sofa,
it has Quilter's Dream Wool batting,
which is soft and warm.
I'm hand quilting this in the evenings
using pearl cotton thread.

On the knitting needles right now I'm knitting up some heavier socks
that I plan on wearing with my hiking boots.
I spun them from superwash BFL top that I dyed
in long color sections.



I'm always fascinated with how you can play with color with spinning.
Not only can you influence the outcome by lengthening 
or shortening the color bands while painting the dye on the wool, 
but you can change things up by stripping off
thicker or thinner sections while spinning.
The thicker sections turn into longer sections of one color.
And then you can effect how the yarn looks depending 
on how you ply it-two ply or three ply?

Speaking of dying, I've felt like dying the last couple of days,
so I set up my supplies on my back patio.
I used a combination of food dye, drink mix, 
and acid dyes to create the colors that I wanted.
I placed plastic wrap on my rudimentary dyeing table,
and painted my mixed colors on my wool roving.
Speaking of roving, I decided to try out the superwash Merino/nylon
blend that I bought from KnitPicks.


First up was bright red, orange, and yellow.
I wanted this to vibrate with color!



After painting on the dyes, I sprayed the wool roving 
with a vinegar/water solution,
and then covered the whole thing with 
another layer of plastic wrap.
I rolled this up and placed it into a vintage canning pot
to be steamed for approximately 30 minutes.
I use a camp stove with a small bottle of propane
for this process.


This is the result:


Changing gears, I decided to try some paler colors, 
reminding me of the delicate pastel colors
of lovely Easter dresses. 





I left some white areas just to see how that would look
against the soft pastel colors.
I'm excited to start spinning one of these soon, 
but first I have to finish what's currently 
on my wheel.
And yes, the divine cherry Matchless spinning wheel
came home with me!
Happy, happy, happy birthday to me ;-)
I use it every day, so it's an awesome
addition to my fiber tools (toys?).


Here's hoping that you have time for fabric/fiber today,
Judy

7 comments:

  1. Oh my so much to catch up on and all of it lovely! The quilt is fab. I do love red and white. Actually, I like just about any color and white. :) Awesome spinning wheel. Happy B-day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is gorgeous! I need to get back to my spinning wheel one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely colourful post Judy. The quilt is just great, red and white is such a classic. I love the colours in your knitting - they are going to be great socks. Wishing you a very Happy Easter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Judy, we think your yarn projects are wonderful, and the colors are gorgeous ! Looks like so much fun. And, we love your red and white London Square quilt top ! Beautifully sewn, and it will be so cozy.
    Best wishes, from Marina and Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Judy, your're busy creating wonderful things. I love your quilt, the red and the white colors together always look so fresh. The wool that your're dying is perfect for all your knitting projects and knitting with hand spinning wool sounds so good!!! So have fun with finishing all your projects, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful colors ...
    island greetings
    Sheepy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been getting so much done. The quilt is such a beauty! And as always, my eyes go to your handspun sock yarn. I may have to retire to have the time, but I WILL try spinning for socks one day! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy