The Loom Collective and Other News

As a weaver, I have a love of looms.
Okay, I admitted it, and that's the first step, right?
Oh, and I have to admit that I collect looms,
especially old looms in need of rescue.

So when I read about a cherry Norwood loom 
that had been in storage for years,
and was now in need of a new home,
I was jazzed.
It came home with me :-)

I've emailed Webs to see if I can find out how old it is,
as it would be fun to know.
If only a loom could talk,
and tell us what their history is.
Who wove on this in the past??

It was covered in dust and grime,
so I cleaned it up,
rubbed it down with synthetic steel wool,
and then oiled it.
What do you think?
I think it's singing....

This morning I'm measuring out a warp out of cotton yarn,
so that I can weave on the new addition.

I finished spinning the spring green, sunny yellow, 
and sky blue Merino/nylon roving.
I triple plied it as it will be knitted up into a pair of socks,
and now it's added to the balls of yarn
in my fiber hutch.

On the quilting side of things,
I'm continuing the scrap quilt theme,
but I've decided to change it up a bit in color and design,
so for this quilt I'm using bright, primary colors forming improv blocks.
 I have my sewing area covered with bins of scraps
that I can pull from as I create each block.
This is what I have finished so far, and
my goal is to make 30 blocks.


Last weekend, my family and I rode our dual sport
motorcycles on Wildcat Gulch Road, FS 311,
which is just off of Grimes Creek Road,
located in the Boise National Forest.



It was an awesome day to be out, and the road was challenging 
enough to make it an interesting ride.


The view as we climbed in altitude was outstanding,


but we had to call it a day at almost 6000 feet, when we hit knee deep snow blocking the road.
There were tire tracks heading through the snow, which made me wonder about the person
driving through the deep snow. Did they make it through?

There were some lovely wildflowers
that I stopped to take photos of
while we were eating our lunch.

Delphinium nuttallianum
Upland Larkspur
Viola gladbella
Stream Violet

On the way home, we were passed by someone
on an ATV who had their
canine buddy along for company.
I love it!


Another lovely day in Idaho, 
spent in the mountains soaking up the wilderness views.
Life is good :-)

Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy

Comments

  1. Wow, that loom is gorgeous. I hope you can find out the approx. age, it would be interesting to know. Your yarn and quilting are beautiful. Looks like y'all have a fun day on the bikes and in some beautiful country. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful! All what You do is really beautiful too. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me smile again, Judy - I do like the combination of your hobbies. The weaving (what a great job to restore the old loom, wish someone like you was here to teach me, I don´t dare to try alone) and spinning and quilting and on the other side motorcycling. Oh, and my son loves to drive ATV. We made a trip together last year in cairgorms in scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a Norwood group on Ravelry that can probably fill you in on that cherry beauty, made long before Webs did their not so nice version of it. I think Toika made them and they weren't anything like the originals..
    Looks like some beautiful weather in Idaho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a loom! That thing is a doozy!!! And quite beautiful too - I know you are really tickled to have it. I love reading about your adventurous exploits in your beautiful countryside. What an interesting life you lead my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new loom looks beautiful Judy! I am sure you will have fun using it. The improv log cabins look great - I love the colour scheme. Gorgeous flowers on your ride and stunning scenery. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful new loom! I absolutely understand that you had to give this beauty a new home as I´m a collector myself.
    I`ll buy a rare loom -second hand- on my way up to Sweden next week :-)
    If I don´t count the rigid heddle looms, it will be my twelvth loom. What a good luck that we have two houses, one in Germany and one in Sweden so that I can distribute them...
    Best whishes - Marlies

    ReplyDelete
  8. That loom looks like new! Good for you!
    The scenery is truly breathtaking. It makes me want to return to Idaho for another visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Judy,
    first of all I have to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your kind comment. You're one of the reasons to translate my posts in English, it's always so wonderful for me, that someone out of Germany is reading my blog! I had to laugh out loud when I read about your love for old looms, because with me it's the same with old sewing machines :-) I really love the way your improove quilt top turns out, guess, it was the right decision to choose more bright colors! You live in a beautiful corner of the USA, your photos about your motorcycling trips are stunning! Have a wonderful day, take care, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super, einfach dir ein Dankeschön!
    LG Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures!
    That loom is a beauty. Enjoy the new toy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy