Translate

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Creative Fun

I finished weaving my tangerine rag rugs and 
cut them off the loom.
That's such a great feeling!
They are now adding a colorful zing
to my kitchen
and I smile every time I see them.
Did I mention how much I like rag rugs??
I love the idea of recycling old things
and giving them new life.




I was inspired to make an improv
toaster cover to complement the new tangerine rugs. 
My old cover, made from handwoven cotton overshot,
was looking rather faded and 
it needed to be replaced.





It was a fun project that adds some sunshine to my kitchen!

On the weaving side of things, I've been measuring out a warp
of novelty yarns in various blues in order to weave yardage for a vest.
I've been ghosting Ravelry, reading about other weaver's experiences
in weaving for clothing and I'm on the fence as far
as loom shaped clothing is concerned.
On the one hand, you do little cutting, so the garment
construction is easier 
but a good fit can be difficult to achieve.
And I know that if it's super baggy,
I probably won't wear it.
By weaving yardage, you can use traditional
patterns, 
but,
I have to admit that I have woven three different
fabrics with the idea of cutting them up
for garments.
And years later, they still exist as yardage,
carefully stored in my weaving hutch.
Sigh.
The trepidation of cutting handwoven cloth proved
to be too big of a hurdle for me to overcome
with these projects.
Hmm, maybe that gives the loom shaped garment the edge....

 has sat empty for far too long,
but now it will be weaving a fun plain weave fabric.
I don't know how this is going to turn out
as I've never woven with yarns like this before,
but I'm viewing it as play,
so it's all good.

On my knitting needles, I have some cotton yarn 
that I'm using to knit dishcloths
(yikes, no socks!)
I dyed this boucle yarn a soft turquoise using Rit dye.


Here's hoping that you have time for fabric/fiber today,
Judy

5 comments:

  1. Your rugs are fantastic Judy and I love the toaster cover. Good luck with your clothing dilemma! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen rugs are beautiful, it looks like Tweed - and I like the idea of recycling old materials, too.
    Sewing clothing out of handwoven fabric is fantastic, I can understand your trembling. Cutting the "Steek" of an faire isle knitting is also incredible, I never tried! May you do well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your weaving, it is perfect for your kitchen.
    You know my english ;o(((... but I like looking over at you.
    I wish you a wonderful time.
    Sheepy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great toaster cover and the rugs are perfect. have fun with the mixed warp, can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Judy, deine neue Abdeckung bringt mich auf die Idee, endlich für meine neue Nähmaschine eine solche zu nähen. Es sieht einfach viel schöner aus.
    Deine Teppiche in der Küche finde ich so schön, dass sie fast zu schade sind, um darauf herum zu laufen.... :-)
    Liebe Grüsse, Brigitte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy