Creative News From My House

Can you believe that it's June already??

Life has been busy lately,
with gardening,
and helping my parents.

I've had a bit of creative time though,
so I started making baby quilts again
for the women's shelter in town.
I had a kind donation from Nancy
of yards and yards of cotton fabric.
Thanks so much!
I paired her fabric with a fun print that I found


and some vintage cotton sheets that I
discovered at a local thrift store.

This week I dropped off four baby quilts
at the local homeless shelter-
may they bring comfort to someone in need.
And you know, baby quilts are just fun to make!


I finished the first weaving project on my oldie Norwood loom.
The warp was 8/4 carpet warp yarn in neutral,
and the weft was a thick, soft cotton yarn
by Sugar 'N Cream in the chocolate milk colorway.
I used a variety of twills for the weaving pattern/draft.
One of the things that I love about weaving is
watching the interlacement of threads
as I throw a shuttle.
It's so cool.



Yesterday I spent most of the day setting up or 
in weaving parlance-dressing my loom-
to weave some bright rag rugs for my kitchen.
I decided to go with tangerine orange,
sunny yellow, and a bit of bright white
for the cotton warp,
and the placement across the loom was random.


Last week I dyed 8/4 carpet warp and cotton strips
 using Rit dyes,
dyeing one batch tangerine


and the other sunny yellow.


I have my strips dry and wound on rag shuttles, 
all ready to weave.
:-)

I finished hand quilting my bright turquoise improv quilt!


I'll be honest with you, I had been planning on giving this to someone.
But
-I loved it so much-
it's now in my living room
even though it doesn't really match.
It's so cheery, I couldn't let this one go.
And this week I talked with the person who I meant to
give the quilt to (I hadn't told them),
and I have to admit that my conscience twinged a bit.
So in the future, I'll make another quilt to give to her.

In the evenings I've been hand carding Cormo wool, 
blending that on my blending board along with silk
to make rolags for spinning.
I'd like to weave a special shawl woven with handspun wool, 
so this is for that project.


The weather here has been perfect for motorcycling,
so we've been exploring the back roads.
And it's a blast!
Last weekend we motorcycled up to Bogus Basin ski resort,
and then went on FS 374 on the backside
of Shafer Butte,
winding our way on dirt/gravel roads 
to Grimes Creek Road,
and then on to Idaho City
for ice cream cones at Donna's Place.

Helmet hair-you have to love it ;-)
Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric,
Judy

Comments

  1. Lovely projects! Looking forward to seeing the colorful rag rugs.
    Btw, your helmet hair is perfect. :-)
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Judy, you accomplish so much! And everything SO beautiful! Like Francoise, I'm looking so forward to seeing your rag rugs. They will be so cheerful! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you are getting to your looms. Love the rug warp. Maybe a pop here and there of lime green and hit all those wonderful citrus colors. I think they are some of my favorites. I understand perfectly wanting to keep that quilt. :-) It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Judy. Well, you do seem to have produced a lot! I love the weaving - the colourway is so classic classy. Your improv quilt looks so good with all it's quilting, I'm not surprised you wanted to keep it and the little baby quilts look great fun. I am looking forward to seeing you kitchen rugs - the colours are gorgeous. Have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I can't blame you - I'd have kept that gorgeous turquoise quilt too! So enjoy seeing the textures and colors of your dying and weaving play - you always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzer you have been a busy lady! All your projects are so stunning. Your seeing up the loom is fascinating and I can't wait to see your rugs. I don't blame you for keeping the quilt. I have done that a couple of times too. And then made something different for the person I had in mind. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been very busy and it's interesting to see how many different kinds of craft you're doing - and all of them so perfectly :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy