Play Time

On Sunday I had a delivery from the Eugene Textile Center
of a used Louet Hollandia loom.
OLAD strikes again.
(Obsessive Loom Acquisition Disorder)
I've read about OLAD on Ravelry,
and I'm convinced that it's contagious!!



Happiness!
I've never woven on a parallel countermarch loom before,
so I was curious how it would be.
I spent the afternoon cleaning the loom up,
and reading about how the loom works.
I then transferred my novelty yarn from
my little vintage Harrisville loom to the Hollandia.

Okay, 
I haven't woven with bumpy/fuzzy/slick yarns in a long time,
so beaming (winding) on the yarn took some time.
Ha. (Understatement.)
But, I made it, 
the yarn made it on the back beam,
and all was well.
The treadling on this loom is light and easy on my knee,
so I'm a very happy weaver indeed.
Thanks, Theresa, for your recommendation!!!!!

I've spent hours playing/weaving on the Hollandia,
 pulling various yarns from my stash,
and adding them to the free style or Saori inspired woven piece.
It's play and I don't want to plan this.
I want to weave it like I'm sewing improv quilt blocks.


I've added silk ribbon inlay,
and clasped weft weaving with various yarns.
The ribbon yarn makes little shiny bumps across the surface of the cloth,
like tiny silk caterpillars creeping across my fabric.
I like it!

Also added was embroidery floss and ribbon yarn inclusions
to contribute small bursts of color to the cloth.

Speaking of improv, 
I have strips sitting on my sewing machine waiting for me
to create some placemats for a request that has been made.
I'll probably start that this afternoon,
so it will be fun to play with the bright colors!

I thought that I'd share a photo of my bee balm
that is flowering in my backyard.
It looks like something out of an alien movie,
doesn't it?


Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy


Comments

  1. Beautiful loom! Same family as mine. ;-)
    Love your Saori-style weaving.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Someone new to play with!
    I love my countermarch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh she's a beauty Judy! So glad you found something that is both beautiful and comfortable to weave at! Hooray!
    BTW, who did your shipping?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are certainly having a lovely time with your new loom - the piece you are weaving is gorgeous. I have grown red bergamot for the first time this year so was interested to see that you call it bee balm. The flowers are beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Judy, deine Begeisterung spürt und sieht man deutlich. Auch mir gefällt es sehr, was du da webst - mach bitte so weiter. Ich mag dieses freie Weben.
    Und was die Blume angeht, denke ich, sie heisst bei uns Goldmelisse,
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldmelisse.

    Liebe Grüsse, Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to your wonderful new loom! I really love the countermarch system, no matter which, parallel, vertical or horizontal :-)
    Your saori inspired cloth looks amazing.
    Have a nice week!
    Marlies

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful loom, congratulations!!!!!!!!!
    And I love what you are weaving, so pretty.
    Happy weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo du Glückliche, ich wünsche dir viel Spaß.
    Lieben nInselgruß
    Sheepy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy