It's Fall

I don't know how you feel about cooler temperatures,
but I'm loving it!
I was riding my bicycle the other morning,
getting my morning exercise,
when I noticed the golden aspen leaves fluttering down 
onto the path in front of me.
You know what this means?
Ski season is right around the corner....
Woohoooooooooooo!

The other day I heard about a vintage four shaft 
Baby Wolf loom needing a new home.
It was a great deal, and included a bench.
Who could resist?
Olad strikes again ;-)
My husband, who is such a good sport,
drove 680 miles with me to bring this home.
Thanks, Marshall.
And we were able to see parts of Oregon that 
we had never seen before.
Okay, that was my doing,
I was driving early in the morning,
chatting away and I missed the turn that we needed to take.
Scenic opportunity!
So we drove through the mountains,
taking in the wonderful views,
knowing that we'd like to go back 
to camp and to ride our dual sport motorcycles.
Welcome to your new home, little Baby Wolf loom....


It has a varied warp on it of hemp yarn, and organic cotton/hemp yarn
to weave twill washcloths for gifts.
I'm hooked on weaving this little washcloths!
They are fun to weave and make great gifts.
Plus, I have small balls of leftover weaving yarn
clogging my storage hutch,
and this is a great project to combine yarns to weave 
unique washcloths while using up those small balls.
It's a win-win.



On the loom it looks like a rather open sett,
but the end result is a soft, pliable cloth
once it's washed in hot water.

Work continues, well, it doesn't feel like work,
on my scrap triangle quilt.
My studio is a creative mess right now with scraps 
and strips everywhere.


Yesterday the weather was warm and sunny,
so I brought out my dyeing supplies to set up everything
in my driveway.
I had a Merino superwash/silk roving that I wanted to dye
black and gray for woven scarf requests.
And then I had a wool/alpaca roving that I wanted to dye for socks.
Fun!

I was thinking of scuba diving in the East China Sea 
while living in Okinawa,
so that's what inspired the colors in this wool/alpaca batch.
My husband, Marshall, and I used to get up early, 
drive to the seawall to watch the sunrise 
and then slip in the water to scuba dive.
What awesome memories.

I painted the dyes on to the roving using foam brushes,


then dripped dye on the remaining open areas.




This is the other batch of wool/alpaca:


Crimson, deep blue, forest green, plum,
and burgundy.
Rich colors just right for fall.

Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric today,
Judy


Comments

  1. Oh, lucky, lucky you! Not only for getting your new loom, but for being a good picker, and having such an accommodating husband! As always, I'm intrigued by your beautiful work. Do you sell your beautiful creations? Enjoy your day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! A new baby in your loom collection! Congratulations!
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wie schön für dich, jetzt bist du glücklich mit de9inem Baby-Webstuhl und kannst deine kleinen Geschenke darauf weben. Dein Mann ist auch immer dein Helfer. Viel Freude und einen schönen Herbst wünscht dir
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun purchase, and adventure retrieving it. Your sewing room looks like mine most of the time - mass chaos turning into order. Enjoy your new loom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your loom looks like a great addition to your collection! Lovely wools. We are having a very long summer here although the mornings are chilly now so we know autumn is on the way. We have had leaves falling for a while due to the drought that we had and the ground is still very dry. But autumn is my favourite month and I love seeing all the beautiful autumn colour. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting post, the loom will get plenty of use in your home and the dishcloths you are making look wonderful . Oh that wool is just yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting post, the loom will get plenty of use in your home and the dishcloths you are making look wonderful . Oh that wool is just yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly how we travel (only a little more on purpose)! We say, "what's that? TURN!" There are so many amazing places to see!
    And congratulations on your new baby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy