December Projects


This time of year life gets really busy,
so I've been slipping in creative time whenever I can.

I've been weaving with a black prime alpaca warp
to create some special twill scarves for gifts.
Last fall, I dyed some Merino/silk roving
with black dye,
varying the solution so that the roving
went from a light silver to a medium gray
to black.
Then I spun it into a soft singles,
which is what I'm using for the weft.








I'm weaving this fairly open,
so that I can full the cloth slightly after
I cut it off of my loom.

For a the next scarf  I varied the yarn,
using a lovely green cashmere/Merino yarn for the weft.



I've been sewing donation baby quilts,
trying to make the goal that I set for myself
at the beginning of the year.


I have a love/passion for handwoven textiles,
especially functional things that can be used everyday.
For years I've read about other weavers using
Fibonacci's number sequence
-0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21,...-
to arrange stripe sequence.
I've wanted to try that for ages,
so I finally decided to try it with some gift twill kitchen towels.
I went from 1 to 21 and then started the sequence over.


The first towel has a 20/2 white linen weft


and this is the beginning of the next towel,
where I continued the use of Fibonacci's number sequence
in the weft as well to create a unique border.
Every time I walk by this loom,
it makes me smile.
A kitchen towel
is such an unassuming thing,
and yet as handwoven cloth,
just so awesome!
When I can,
 I've been lighting a fire in our family room,
and throwing the shuttle
to create another towel.
Sweet.

Our local ski resort just opened after a very nice snowstorm
blew through.


So if you hear a faint
"Woohoooooo",
you'll know that I'm gliding down one of the slopes
with a grin on my face.

Chuck, my weaving buddy

Happy December from my house to yours,
Judy

Comments

  1. Such fine fibery pursuits for the holidays. The scarves are lovely but I'm betting the snow is better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything in this post from the weaving to the snow to the cat :-D. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fibonacci Numbers - there are always interesting new things to learn and memorise. The patterns of your weaving looks so vibrant....I can share your happyness. Next week I´ll have a further weaving-lesson, exiced even now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm weaving it the other way around, with my handspun as the warp for the twill. Isn't it a wonderful feeling?! I can't wait to see what it's like when it's fulled! And yours is going to be wonderful, as singles!!!
    The Fibonacci stripes are coming out great, too! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your weaving always looks so lovely. I like the Fibonacci sequence - i used it once for some bargello type patchwork and it worked really well. Enjoy your snow. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your weaving....beautiful work~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful weaving! I love the black and grey scarf.
    You've got so much snow already! Here, nothing. It will be a green Christmas again.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate hearing from you.
Judy