Mornings are getting cooler,
and the maple leaves on the tree next to our deck
are starting to turn red.
You know what that means?
Ski season is just around the corner :-)
Oh, happy day....
back to reality,
and 90 degree weather.
I'll admit something to you,
I really don't like clothes sewing!
So my handwoven cloth is stacking up,
into a luscious pile,
but I didn't weave it to simply sit in my weaving hutch.
One day I got my courage going
and I decided to sit down
to cut my fabric for a vest.
I had a McCall's pattern,
and I like the G version that has one button,
and simple lines.
So I made a muslin version first,
to check the fit,
adjusted it a bit,
and I was ready to cut my cloth.
This is the result,
and I love it!
That buttonhole almost did me in.
That's an oxymoron,
This pattern showcases the woven fabric,
and fits well.
I handwashed the cloth before cutting it,
and the loose weave filled in quite nicely.
So next up is the cheery green and yellow cloth!
I'm still sewing the improv sampler quilt
for our living room wall.
Just a bit more to do,
and then I can show it to you.
On the spinning side of things,
I've been sitting outside on our deck,
watching the birds and spinning
the colorful BFL wool.
In the mornings before it gets hot,
I've been sanding the second loom that I rescued,
a 120 cm Glimakra Standard.
It was covered with painted flowers,
and had water damage.
This is the roughest loom that I've restored.
I don't think that it ever had a warp on it.
I think that someone bought it,
then put it on a covered patio
where it sat in the snow.
I sanded it down,
put Tung Oil finish on it,
and now it's ready to be waxed.
(Please ignore the messy background,
as I had to shift things to fit the loom in my studio.)
How awesome is that??
I saved this from going into a dumpster.
I realized when I started working on this,
that there was a beam from another Ideal
in the stack of loom parts that I brought home.
if I had known that they had thrown an Ideal away,
I would have climbed into the dumpster to save it.
But at least I was able to save two looms.
Today I'm going to put the
countermarch mechanism together.
I had to buy more parts for this loom,
and thankfully Glimakra USA had most of the parts that I needed-
lamms, heddles, a countermarch mechanism, and Texsolv cord.
The wood is a bit lighter,
but that's okay.
On my Hollandia loom I've been weaving
I think that I'm going to have fun with shawls for a bit.
The warp is 8/2 Tencel,
and the weft is handspun Cormo/tussah silk yarn
that I dyed two summers ago,
alternating with 10/2 bamboo yarn in turquoise.
The Cormo wool is from a farm in Parma, Idaho.
I wove this with a very loose sett,
(the distance between the yarns),
as Cormo really fulls when you wash it.
I wanted a soft, pliable shawl that's warm.
I'm down to the last 12 inches of the warp now :-)
Cormo is a wonderful wool to work with,
it's very soft, and feels like a wool cotton candy.
If you have a chance to play with some,
We took the dogs,
Max, and Sam,
down to the river one day so that they could play.
I pedal by a fruit stand that has signs out.
I see this each morning,
and every morning it makes me laugh.
Our thoughts are with the people in Texas.
May they find shelter and food,
and a safe place to wait out the flood water.