A Day Spent Dyeing and Other Projects
A couple of weekends ago the weather was sunny, and warm
so I decided to set up my dyeing supplies.
This time I didn't have to mix dye solutions,
so I was able to make more progress with actual dyeing.
I had four skeins of a Corriedale cross handspun yarn
that I had dyed a while ago,
and every time I walked by the yarn,
I thought, "ugh."
So it was a good time to redye it!
I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out,
but I chose a couple of colors that I liked.
I brought the yarn up to a light simmer on my trusty
vintage camp stove.
Then I poured a burnt orange dye solution over sections,
and in the other sections I poured bright orange.
Then I set my timer, and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
This is the result-
Who knew? This is one of the reasons I love dyeing my own wool/fabric,
as you can't always predict what the end result will be.
A couple of months ago my husband and I went
to an estate sale.
Those are usually fun,
and this one had an attic stuffed with yarn.
I brought home some Shetland wool skeins
that I think are probably from the 1950's,
and they were originally marked down to 39 cents.
I brought the skeins up to a light simmer,
and then poured soft pink, crimson, and plum dye over the skeins.
This is the result:
I think that these vintage Shetland wool skeins will
make a wonderful winter woven vest for me.
I redyed a handspun singles skein that will be woven into a twill
scarf for my husband.
I forgot to take a before photo,
but the skein was the color of oatmeal before dyeing,
and looked like this after being dyed.
I painted some pastel dyes-lemon yellow, lilac, and soft pink-
on a Merino/silk roving.
Then I rolled the roving up in some plastic wrap,
placed into a steamer pot,
and simmered it above the water for 30 minutes.
This is the result:
Wonderful wool to play with this winter!
Another round of painting burnt orange, teal, and a medium brown dye solution
on a Merino/silk roving resulted in this:
In the evenings I've been hand quilting my improv quilt.
I love the peaceful rhythm of hand quilting.
It's slow going,
but my philosophy is it will be done when it's done.
It's the process that I love.
I dyed the fabric for the back using Rit dyes.
I'm used to using Procion dyes that I mix myself,
so this was an experiment to see what would happen.
I wet the fabric, placed into a container,
and then poured the dye over it.
The Rit dye has less viscosity,
so it didn't flow through the layers like I thought that it would.
I like the result, but next time I
will add more water if I use Rit dyes on fabric.
The other day I was bicycling in a new area,
when I came across a flag on a barn.
Here's hoping that you have time for fiber/fabric this week,