A Finished Object-A Ribbed Hat

 


I just finished knitting a ribbed hat for my husband.
The fiber is Merino and baby alpaca 
that I dyed myself that I spun into a three ply soft yarn.


This handspun yarn was an experiment-

I divided the Merino roving into thirds-

then divided one section in half, one section into fourths and the last I divided into sixths. 

The baby alpaca was spun on a spindle into a soft single, 

then placed in a canning jar along with brilliant blue dye.

 I didn’t agitate the alpaca, but let it just absorb the dye.

 I ended up with a very dark yarn on the outside, 

fading to a medium blue then a sky blue then cream. 

I forgot to take a photo of this. It was a really cool result that I’m going to repeat.

Marshall loves the hat and has been wearing it since I finished it. 🤗

Knit on,

Judy