Dyeing Wool

 

Sixteen ounces (454 g) of soft Merino top 

dyed with various acid dyes-

brilliant blue, moss green, olive green, burnt orange, tobacco, medium brown.

I heat set the dye using a microwave that is only used for dyeing. 

I let the dye stay on the top for 24 hours and then rinse it. 

I’m really happy with the end result.

Years ago I had the chance to purchase a goreous Cormo fleece
 from a farm in Parma, Idaho.
I was so enchanted with the lovely crimp and wool
 that I spend hours-days-pulling off small bunches of wool
 to tie in small bundles for scouring and dyeing to keep the tips aligned.

I dyed 4 ounces (113 g) of the lovely Cormo wool.


Burnt orange, moss green, tobacco brown
 and a medium brown were the acid dye solutions that I used.
I placed a few Cormo bundles in a one gallon Ziploc baggie,
 poured in the dye and then placed the bag 
in a large glass mixing bowl that I purchased at a local thrift store.
That allows me to dye multiple colors at once and then heat set them together.


I love playing with color and fiber!

Cheers,
Judy