Weaving Again-Gingham Kitchen Towels


I’m continuing with my goal of not purchasing any new weaving yarn and using what I have in my stash. To that end, I did a blended warp of green and blue yarns for kitchen towels using the pattern, Small Check Gingham Towels from Weaver’s Craft Summer 2001 magazine. The yarns are 8/2 cottons and 22/2 cottolin yarns.

I threaded 484 thread ends through the Texsolv heddles on my Louët Jane loom.

This is the view from the back of the loom when the threading was finished and the warp is wound on ready to start weaving. Yay!

The first towel was woven using a leaf green 22/2 Bockens’ cottolin yarn for the weft.

The weave structure of the broken diamonds is interesting and fun to weave.

Towel number 2 had three colors alternating in the weft-white, mint green and sky blue.

I love weaving-there are so many opportunities to play with color, pattern and texture.

The third towel was woven using three blues alternating with 22/2 white cottolin.

 The final towel was woven with five different wefts- white 22/2 cottolin and four green yarns.

These towels were fun to weave and I love how they turned out. 
I’ve hand sewn the hems 
so now I just need to sew on hanging loops and a label.

  • For the weavers out there-
  • Warp length 5.25 yards (4.8 m), enough for four towels plus sampling
  • Warp width 20 inches (51 cm) with a sett of 24 epi with 484 ends including two floating
  • Each towel was woven to the length of 36 inches (91 cm)

Weave on,

Judy