A Finished Small Appliqué Quilt

 I’ve been sewing a scrappy, 

low volume background for an appliqué quilt. 

I posted about it here.

I chose some bright scrap fabrics for leaves, 
then cut out the shapes using featherweight non-fusible interfacing.
I then sewed the leaf to the right side of each fabric, using a short stitch length.
 This method creates a smooth edge with no fraying.
I cut a slit in the interfacing and gently turned the leaf.
Years ago I used to do needle turn appliqué or fusible appliqué,
 but I find that I like this method better.
I like the smooth edges, there’s no fraying 
and it’s not stiff from a fusible backing.
I created a bias vine from a blue/green batik fabric, 
then machine sewed it to the background. 
I then placed all of the leaves close to the vine, 
thinking about color/shape placement. 
I used contrasting thread and a triple stitch to secure the leaves to the background.

I sewed a hanging sleeve on the back, 
created a label and hung the quilt in my kitchen 
next to the sink where I get to see it. 
It turned out just how I dreamed it would.
 Happiness!
I have a passion for small quilts and I have them displayed all over my home.
On to the next one-I’ve been dreaming about this next one for a while now.

Happy sewing,
Judy